66 Rumble!

The most rusty of parts are discussed here - brakes, suspension, and exhaust.
ImperialAtom
Site Admin

66 Rumble!

Post by ImperialAtom »

So my 66 has a glasspack or something on it giving it a rumble. At first I couldn't stand it. Then I got used to it. Now I'm back to noticing it and getting a bit irritated by it as it just doesn't feel like the luxury of old when it's roaring down the road.

So I'm strongly considering getting some new exhaust for it and saw this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/383158456526

I have never tacked exhaust before. I'm guessing it's worth taking to a small shop with a lift and let them deal with installing, but if you guys think it's an easy home job using jack stands, I'd give it a shot as I have all the tools I would believe. I assume it's pretty much bolt-off / bolt-on style.

The alternate question I had was - is it work getting a whole new exhaust set like this ebay listing or can a shop simply replace the glasspack muffler with something more traditional for less than this ebay listing? Keep in mind, the ebay exhaust set will be $100 more to ship.

So what do you guy think?

DonFromTexas

Re: 66 Rumble!

Post by DonFromTexas »

I had a bad experience with this seller, notice my neutral feedback. What they sent was NOT for my 59, took a lot of fussing to get it all sent back and get reimbursed. I went with their competitor, it was perfect fit bolt on set, very pleased with them.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

This is the company that gave me really fine service and product: http://www.waldronexhaust.com/
They were out of resonators at the time, so offered to make a "resonator eliminator" pipe so I could get it back together. I now have the resonators, but will never install them, I love the sound. Throaty but not obnoxious, the way a 413 should sound!

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

They are the same price and have an 8 week lead time. That's quite a back order they have going on there.

If I had a more sporty styled car with my 440 in it, I would love the extra throaty rumble, but as it's a luxury car, it just seems a bit out of place.

watchfatha1

Post by watchfatha1 »

Imperials were silent when new. We had them.

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

My ‘silver ‘67 was loud when I got it and still is. Most of the time I love it but I will eventually make it a little quieter but it will never be silent like it was new. Someone added duals long before I owned it.
1967 Crown Coupe, 1964 Impvertible, 1971 Challenger convertible, 1968 Road Runner, 1967 Mobile Director
http://mattmichalec.com/

gary h

Post by gary h »

You could get some prices from local exhaust shops,Old time shops may have the exhaust pattern (cards) to bend up a system. I used Waldrons for my Dodge A-100 about 15 years ago and was happy.