AAJ DISC BRAKE CONVERSION-Have you done it?

The most rusty of parts are discussed here - brakes, suspension, and exhaust.
watchfatha1

AAJ DISC BRAKE CONVERSION-Have you done it?

Post by watchfatha1 »

Has anyone done the AAJ conversion on a 64-5-6 Imperial? If yes, any glitches? If you gave it to a shop, how much did they charge in labor?
Thanks
Norm

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: AAJ DISC BRAKE CONVERSION-Have you done it?

Post by ImperialAtom »

A shop here quoted me around 1000 in labor if I provide the parts for a 60 Thunderbird. That was just for the front wheels, so I would assume it would go up some from there. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I would assume it would be a similar cost for an Imperial.

Are you considering doing all 4 or just the front?

watchfatha1

Post by watchfatha1 »

Thanks.
Shop quoted $1200 labor for fronts. Only doing fronts. I've had 20 something of these cars and this is the only one where the brakes work fine, but I don't like where the pedal is (just a tad low-does not hit the floor, but not what i consider normal) so I'm going to do this conversion. Anyway, I will probably go ahead with this guy AND have him replace all the existing (original) brake lines, too. I also have a rebuilt Booster that I'll add to the mix. I think it is wise to do it all remaining brake components: brake cyls and hardware have already been done.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

I don't know about the Imperial as I haven't dug into it yet, but on a Thunderbird, there is an adjustment linkage behind the brake booster to adjust the pedal height. I would assume there is a similar setup with the Imperial, but will let someone else that knows for sure.

Just saying if the pedal height is what is concerning you, you can probably pop off that booster and adjust it. Or maybe you can get to it from under the dash depending on how the setup is.

watchfatha1

Post by watchfatha1 »

Yes, I am aware of that. I have been cautioned over the years that it is NEVER to be touched under normal circumstances unless components are changed (which in this case a new master cylinder will require it). Everything on my car is still original (from the factory) and has not been apart, as it is only a 45k mile car and had sat for about 30 years-so that rod (and its adjustment) is likely not the culprit.
I discussed this very thing with Roger (AAJ Brakes). THANK YOU for mentioning it.
Norm

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Good to know. I have adjusted it on the tbird without issues before... it doesn't affect the braking other than where the pedal is which may cause you to push harder on the brakes or not. I can see where someone might screw that up, but have always understood that is just why that adjustment is there.

I will never touch it now on one of my Imperials until I hear otherwise. :)

watchfatha1

Post by watchfatha1 »

The issue is if it is not in the right place and you adjust it, you will either get unintended extra pedal travel or cause the master cylinder piston to be slightly engaged while the pedal is at rest. In either case that's not a proper adjustment.

watchfatha1

Post by watchfatha1 »

Sorry, I hit send prematurely. The right way to do it is to measure the how much the rod protrudes from the booster and then measure how far in the master cup goes. A perfect match is what is desired.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

watchfatha1 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:35 pm Sorry, I hit send prematurely. The right way to do it is to measure the how much the rod protrudes from the booster and then measure how far in the master cup goes. A perfect match is what is desired.
Ok, so nothing special with the Imperial then. Follow the basics and don't have your brakes dragging. :)

watchfatha1

Post by watchfatha1 »

10-4