Save The Wheelcovers for Shows

The most rusty of parts are discussed here - brakes, suspension, and exhaust.
OldChargerGuy

Save The Wheelcovers for Shows

Post by OldChargerGuy »

Good Day to You, Imperialists.

I recently purchased my first Imperial, a 1968 Crown hardtop sedan. I was quite fortunate to find one nearly identical to my mother's in 1976, when she let me use it for special dates. But most memorable was the time she gave me to learn how to drive using that land yacht; my dad was severely crippled in 1974.

While out for a cruise last week, a pothole on the interstate popped off the left-front wheel cover. It was rolling nicely in the left lane while I was on the right. Luckily, all traffic was respectful of the grand ol' lady and slowed down until the wheel cover passed behind me and I pulled over, trying to stay with the wheel cover. I'm thinking I better keep these covers for special occasions and get a set of wheels for touring. I like to drive a lot. Like my '66 Charger, I have a set of Magnum500 wheels shod with radials for touring, and keep the original wheel covers and bias-ply tires nice for car shows.

The only proper and respectable wheel I can think of for an Imperial is a true wire wheel. Any other ideas? What brand of wire wheel do you like? Do you recommend a particular supplier over another?
I already have the tires I want (code 83!), and I did check with my local tire guys. They just got a tire machine that handles true wire wheels gently and safely. I hope so.

Below is a photo of the grand ol' lady along the interstate while I searched for my wheel cover. And you can see why it popped off . . . chrome baby moons underneath! How embarrassing. I didn't even know it when I bought the car! No, I don't like them; those will be for sale soon (the original 6-inch steel wheels came with the car). The wheel cover turned out to be near the car; you can see a glimpse of it above the car near a shrub on an upper terrace.

The full story on this car will be shared later. For now, I'm looking for advice on true wire wheels. Thanks, Guys . . . and Gals.
IMG_0780.JPG
OldChargerGuy
1968 Imperial Crown Hardtop Sedan
1968 Dodge Charger, 1966 Dodge Charger

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Save The Wheelcovers for Shows

Post by ImperialAtom »

I too have been worried about losing one driving down the road. What I did was buy a couple extra so I have one or two spares in case that happens. Heck, the latest spare I found is in better shape than the ones on the car.

Now if one does come off and I don't notice it, I will have the spare back home ready to go on and keep the car original.

OldChargerGuy

Post by OldChargerGuy »

Hi, Atom.

An extra wheel cover came with the car; which is nice. I checked on prices for these wheels . . . wow. I may just get rid of the slippery chrome wheels and be careful of potholes. I will be looking for more spare covers, too . . . but I sure love the look of real wire wheels.
OldChargerGuy
1968 Imperial Crown Hardtop Sedan
1968 Dodge Charger, 1966 Dodge Charger

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

I’ve been collecting those wheelcovers lately. It’s hard to find nice ones but if you gather enough of them you can take all the best pieces of them and make decent driver quality ones. I found an NOS one from ‘69 on the local Craigslist last year.
1967 Crown Coupe, 1964 Impvertible, 1971 Challenger convertible, 1968 Road Runner, 1967 Mobile Director
http://mattmichalec.com/

gary h

Post by gary h »

What matt Said !