Exhaust System To Tame The 440

The most rusty of parts are discussed here - brakes, suspension, and exhaust.
OldChargerGuy

Exhaust System To Tame The 440

Post by OldChargerGuy »

Hey, Imperialists:

My recent '68 Imperial Crown purchase came with a single exhaust, proper for a K-series 440 engine, but the previous owner had a glass-pack muffler on it, and I use the term 'muffler' loosely. It was loud!
Though it has the K-series, the previous owner found a proper L-series dual-snorkel air cleaner and installed it; it looks cool. Naturally, the first thing I did to the car was install dual exhaust, telling the exhaust dude to make the car as silent as possible. We even added an x-pipe for noise cancellation. Failure. It was better, but still too loud.

A Mopar associate mentioned to me that Imperials were built with 30-inch long mufflers. I took it to his shop, but he installed inferior mufflers and added resonators. I couldn't tell any difference.
While giving my hard-of-hearing mother a ride in the grand luxury car, she said, 'isn't it a bit loud?'. What a bummer.

So, what now? Where may I get these big, Imperial mufflers?
An H-pipe on my '66 Charger reduced its exhaust noise noticeably, but that X-pipe chamber seemed to be a source of noise; it was removed. Any experience with H-pipe verses X-pipe configurations?
Was it a mistake to go with dual exhausts? My mother's '68 Imperial was a single-exhaust car, and it was silent.

Thank you for your insights and experience, gentlemen . . . and ladies.
Attachments
First dual-exhaust system.
First dual-exhaust system.
Bigger mufflers and resonators, X-pipe was removed later.
Bigger mufflers and resonators, X-pipe was removed later.
Simple H-pipe configuration that was effective to quiet the Charger. It, too, was a single-exhaust car when built.
Simple H-pipe configuration that was effective to quiet the Charger. It, too, was a single-exhaust car when built.
OldChargerGuy
1968 Imperial Crown Hardtop Sedan
1968 Dodge Charger, 1966 Dodge Charger

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Exhaust System To Tame The 440

Post by ImperialAtom »

Can you put another set of full size mufflers on the back instead of those resonators?

OldChargerGuy

Post by OldChargerGuy »

No, the resonators barely fit. When I find the right mufflers, the resonators will probably be removed.
The first mufflers and x-pipe are for sale now. I reckon the second mufflers and the resonators will be up for sale someday, too. What an expensive mess.
OldChargerGuy

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I had a steep learning curve on my first 59. Finally found Waldrons will do you right and do the pipes right as well. Just let them guide you to what you want.
I found for the 413 the dual pipes thru the mufflers they furnished was just the right tone without the resonators. I have a spare set of resonators in case they would help you any,

OldChargerGuy

Post by OldChargerGuy »

Thank you, DonFromTexas. Waldrons had everything I needed; they knew what I was looking for when I said "Imperial". Time was pressing me to finish the exhaust before my family's reunion, so I had a professional install it. Poor workmanship, but it's quiet like she should be. I'm taking the car back to have the pipe knocks adjusted out. Does anybody check their work anymore?
OldChargerGuy

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

they have made complete systems for each of my 1959 models, and they were simply perfect fitting since they actually use the factory computer bending settings.