Carbon Offsets

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
Ottawa Mike

Carbon Offsets

Post by Ottawa Mike »

I am curious about what people think about buying carbon offsets for your classic cars.
I bought 1 ton worth for $20 as a test to see how it works. 1 ton is the smallest amount I could be and it is roughly the amount of carbon my car will emit in a year.
I don't really want to start a conversation about the environment or the BS associated with carbon offsets.
Instead I am curious if some people see it as a part of long term solution to fend of some of the anti classic car sentiment out there.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Carbon Offsets

Post by ImperialAtom »

I'm not aware of it. Is it supposed to help your engine last longer or run better, similar to the lead additives?

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

Adam this isn't something you add to your gas tank. Basically what Mike is doing is fining himself for driving a vehicle that emits pollutants. Someone or something polluted less and got credit for it, now Mike has purchased that credit to even out the pollutants from his car.

I don't believe there is less pollution because of all this, just others claim it or deny it based on money changing hands or trading.

So what do I think about buying pollution credits in order to drive old cars? If it makes you feel better then go right ahead, I wouldn't do it. I think it's all smoke and mirrors.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Thanks, Mike. I've never lived in an emission state, so never even heard of such a thing. My viewpoint is the world was fine before I got here and it will be fine after I'm gone. I don't believe that you can "hurt" a planet. So I drive the old cars with a smile on my face and enjoy them. They don't get that many miles each year. :)

Ottawa Mike

Post by Ottawa Mike »

Ya it is like Stan said you pay someone who is running a project that reduces CO2 emissions, i.e., a tree farm. You buy carbon credits from them. This way it nets out the emissions caused by diving your car. They send you a certificate as proof you bought an offset.
As you know governments are under a lot of pressure to put more and more restrictions of CO2 emissions. In some areas politicians have had classic cars in their sights. One way to fend off this people is for classic cars owner to buy offsets. Here is a link to a car show that bought carbon offsets https://www.capelcarshow.com/carbon-offsetting/ .
There are also companies that will convert your classic to an EV!!!, for a hefty price.
I see these off sets as a way to keep you car on the road and be able to say it is green over the long term.
We drive our cars so little that it is not that expensive. It is one way to inform the general public that it is ok to own and drive a classic car. It is not that big of polluter because they are driven so little. You can put your certificate on the dash.