Show us your Imperial

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
DonFromTexas

Re: Show us your Imperial

Post by DonFromTexas »

a 56 came with either a two speed or three speed transmission, mine is the two speed one, a look at the buttons will identify it. Have not studied the AC options yet, but a plus for this one is the DUAL AC option, note the rear air intakes. Keys were tossed I guess; trunk is locked and no living person has ever seen the inside of the trunk. There was a rumor that the body of Jimmy Hoffa is in there. Another story is that the old college professor owner stashed all his spare cash in coffee cans and hid them from his wife in there :-)

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I think I was all wrong on the "dual AC" comment. From reading the owners manual, apparently AC on this car consisted of REAR AC ONLY! My 59s have front and rear AC, is this correct? My 56 has not been delivered yet so I cannot check it out.

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

I've always heard all the old cars had the AC in the rear because all the stuff was too big to fit under the hood. My Dad always cracked a window when the AC was on, he said it helped get the cool air to the back better. My theory is that was the practice when the cool air came out the back and it helped draw it forward, and people just kept doing it not really knowing why.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I had forgotten, my 53 Lincoln Capri had a rear only as well. I think the giveaway is the external air scoops back there. If the condenser was up front, there would be no need for air inlet back there. On the 59 there is an air inlet on the package shelf, just to circulate air within the car, the condenser is up at the radiator like most all cars today. The Capri had clear plastic tubes coming up the back window and pointed to the back of the drivers head.

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

I had noticed your car has a two speed transmission. My understanding was the early cars had a two speed and the later cars had a three speed. The vin on the pink car is C567325, has a schedule date of 2/14 and it has a three speed transmission. The other car that I know has a three speed is a higher vin number. One of the other cars has a lower vin & I seem to remember it having a two speed transmission. I don't remember on the others. I haven't looked at some of that stuff in over 30 years. The two cars with AC do have everything except the compressor in the trunk & vents at the rear. One has the same external air scoops as your car & I remember the other one having different scoops. I plan to get more pictures this weekend. I am curious on what's inside the trunk on your car. It's been a while since I've gotten to open a trunk that has been closed for several years, always an entertaining experience. Would be nice if the hubcaps were in the trunk along with those full coffee cans. I have spent hours sorting keys for a few estate situations. It's a hassle but it is so nice to have the correct keys. I found the keys for the pink '56 in a smallish box that had a bunch of other keys in it. The box was in a garbage bag that just had junk mail in it. Luckily I heard the keys move when I moved the garbage bag. I have no idea how long they had been there but even the vehicle titles weren't in their "normal" location. It's sad but it happens, sometimes right in front of us.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

When this guy died, an estate disposal service came in and did their damage. They basically tossed everything away, including the title and owners manual and keys. They considered the car totally worthless and left it in the garage. It had been put into some degree of limited storage (I assume when the owner got ill). Hubcaps are still up in the air, for some reason two were in the seat and I am hoping the other two are in the trunk. They are not too hard to find though. I have not decoded the serial numbers yet, but feel sure mine is an early model due to the 2 speed tranny.
Attachments
caimp35.jpeg

Implover

Post by Implover »

My 67 Crown Coupe.
Attachments
fingerimp.jpg
fingerimp.jpg (127.5 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
myimp1.JPG
67 Crown Coupe, 64 Plymouth Fury. 65 Dadge Dart 270

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Very nice looking 67 Imp! Do you have any interior shots you could share?

Implover

Post by Implover »

Thanks imperial Atom. I will update this soon. So far, the brakes have been completely gone over, front end rebuilt, and new muffler & resonator installed. Radiator recored also. The front seats are being redone now. Will post pics when they are finished.

Implover

Post by Implover »

int.JPG