Imperial on a UHaul trailer

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
slantflat

Imperial on a UHaul trailer

Post by slantflat »

Hi everyone.

Wondered if anyone has moved an early 60s Imperial on a Uhaul trailer, and would you do it again?

I find myself needing to move a 62 about a thousand miles and so far the most convenient(aside from someone else doing it) would be to tow it on a Uhaul. It should just fit on the trailer, and weigh just under the maximum payload. But I realize sometimes just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Other than that, is there a company anyone has used to move a (non-running) car long distances? I haven't used a company like that in decades and I only seem to hear the bad stories. My final idea is to drive my truck and trailer the thousand miles and pick it up myself, and drive the thousand miles back. Not my first choice.

Thanks everyone.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Imperial on a UHaul trailer

Post by ImperialAtom »

I can't speak to the uhaul trailer, but it is something I have always wondered myself.

I've had good luck with uship. You get to see what the average price should be for your route and then set your price. Drivers going that route will be able to accept or bid for your business. Haven't had a problem yet.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

AND if you are not in a rush, you can catch a desperate hauler who is otherwise coming your way empty - and will eally make you a deal.

Impkidd

Post by Impkidd »

If you have the ability, go get the car yourself. What an adventure! Have your navigator get photos of you and the former owner loading it on the trailer at the location. More photos at rest stops and gas stations from lookie-loos asking how you found and acquired the car. You may get someone wanting to purchase it? You can’t price those memories ten years from now. Unless, the car means nothing to you besides the delivery. I wish I would have took the 2000 mile one way trip to Montana to get my shed-find 61. I was just looking at dollar sign differences with gas and a couple of hotels along the way. So, don’t make the adventure “impersonal”, if you can. Rob, 61.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

I was with you all the way up to "2000 mile one way trip". The only memories I would have from such a trip would be all the face slapping trying to stay awake, and maybe a memory of running off the road a time or two. :)

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

Bahaha Adam that's funny. Who would be doing the face slapping, you slapping yourself or your passenger slapping you as the edge gets closer and closer...

I did a trip like that once. Drove from Atlanta to Los Angeles and back in about 5 1/2 days. I was picking up a motorcycle. When I got to my friend's house he wasn't home so I called him. He said, I wasn't expecting you for three more days. I said, I have to be back to work by then.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

I could do that when I was in my 20's or even early 30's... in my 40's now and there's just no way. :)

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

So here's an update! Got to thinking about a Dodge Maxivan I had up on a Uhaul trailer once. The website said it would be okay and sure it did fit, barely. Harrowing ride home let me tell you. Anyway, when the Dodge was on the trailer the back wheels were right at the edge of the deck. If it were any longer it wouldn't have fit. Guess what. The Imperial's wheelbase is longer so no way is it going to fit on a Uhaul trailer. Case closed.

I've gotten with a friend of a friend who owns a towing business, and has people move cars long distances, and am waiting to hear back from him. My plan is to fly up and meet the driver and the seller at the seller's house, help load the Imperial, take lots of pictures, and then fly home and anxiously await my new buddy.

Thanks guys for weighing in, it helped a lot. It isn't really like me to hire someone to do my work but this time I think it's the best way. I'll keep everyone posted.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Just ask your friend of a friend to borrow his trailer. Tell him you'll happily pay him $100 or something like that... still much cheaper than getting it hauled by someone else.

61Imperial

Post by 61Imperial »

A photo for reference I suppose...I believe that was a 16 or 18 foot trailer. I don't remember.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200602-093853.png
Screenshot_20200602-093853.png (276.85 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
1961 Imperial Crown-Mindy
1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme -Buckshot
1986 Merkur Xr4ti-Copperhead
1987 Ford F-250 Lariat-Old Grey
1988 Mercedes 420sel-Agnes
1989 Merkur Xr4ti-Flash
1994 Lincoln Town Car-Gremlin
2007 GMC Yukon-The Rental