VIN information

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
Richard S

VIN information

Post by Richard S »

Hi ALL
i am trying to buy 1963 Imperial but vin in a door area is fake.Is there any other place with VIN? can i get info (vin) from info plate in engine compartment?
Attachments
63 imperial vin.jpg

slantflat

Re: VIN information

Post by slantflat »

Can you give us a picture of the "fake" VIN? Has the car been wrecked or otherwise title-compromised and some State entity assigned a new VIN to it?
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

Richard S

Post by Richard S »

yes
car is in Canada
Attachments
63 new vin.jpg

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

The vin isn’t on the data plate and I think the vin tag is the only place you’ll find it unless maybe the certicard is still with it.
1967 Crown Coupe, 1964 Impvertible, 1971 Challenger convertible, 1968 Road Runner, 1967 Mobile Director
http://mattmichalec.com/

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Does it have a clean title already? If so, I would check with your local BMV/DMV and see if they are ok with a replacement VIN plate on a classic car if it has a clear title. Would hate to buy it and find out you cannot register it.

Alternatively, if you want to consider it, there are people selling reproduction VIN plates on ebay who will stamp or engrave whatever number you want. They would look more legit than the one you have in your picture and may pass the BMV/DMV inspection without any questions. Here's an example:
Attachments
s-l1600-3.jpg

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

You would have to have a legit number to put on it though, you can’t just pull some numbers out the air.
1967 Crown Coupe, 1964 Impvertible, 1971 Challenger convertible, 1968 Road Runner, 1967 Mobile Director
http://mattmichalec.com/

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

That is correct, if you make something up, it may conflict with another car. Not to mention it would need to match whatever number is on the current title in order to do a proper title transfer unless you want to try to go the route of a bill-of-sale with your local agency.

gary h

Post by gary h »

Screws for the Vin tag ???? Should be Rivets.