65 Imperial disc brake conversion

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
watchfatha1

Re: 65 Imperial disc brake conversion

Post by watchfatha1 »

It helps a whole lot!! THANKS! This is something i will have done by a pro as my back is no longer equal to the task-even though the 17 year old tinkerer living in my head wants to do it.

To be clear, I am purchasing the rotors, calipers and seals locally (NAPA) but will buy his kit (and now, some stuff from Mancini, too). Have you done it yet? If yes, has it made a noticeable difference in stopping? Has pedal travel changed?

Sluggo

Post by Sluggo »

It has made a difference. I'm a little weird, I did a brake job with the Budd calipers just so I could do a test (turns out had an issue with the pistons) so I went with Roger's kit sooner than anticipated. I had to realize that I'm not winning any shows so originality shouldn't concern me. Even without a difference, the conversion is worth it for no other reason than obtaining parts. I bought the calipers and front discs (dura brake) but the front pads are too expensive and getting too rare for me. D-10 pads are the price of gold.
Doug Sako
1967 LeBaron

watchfatha1

Post by watchfatha1 »

You have any pictures of the brake booster/master and lines? I have AutoPilot and it looks like it would be a tight fit on the side where the lines come out of the master you referenced (mancini)

Sluggo

Post by Sluggo »

the master cylinder is the same physical dimensions, the bore size and residual valve are the only differences. It's funny you ask about that because I am actually re-plumbing this stuff this weekend, right after valve stem seals. I'm going with the NiCop vs. the steel (I must have made a bad flare). I'll send some when I'm completed.
Doug Sako
1967 LeBaron

watchfatha1

Post by watchfatha1 »

Eager to see them. Thanks,
Norm

ReyDL

Post by ReyDL »

Good discussion. We'll be checking a 65 Imperial soon as next project. Good guide here for converting into disk brake.