Let's Introduce ourselves.

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Let's Introduce ourselves.

Post by ImperialAtom »

slanflat wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:20 pm Hi everyone.

I'm Mike and I live in Atlanta. I don't have an Imperial, nor do I really have an Imperial story. It seems one day I woke up and decided I needed to have a 62 Imperial. So I search. Lately I've been completely consumed by the 56 Imperial. And after talking to a friend of mine about the 60 Imperial I feel as though I'll have one of them as well. That will be a nice trio.
Hey Mike - what is it about those two Imperial years that attracts you to these cars? Another interesting question I like to ask people is, why do you like Imperial over something more mainstream like a Cadillac from those years?

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

You know I couldn't really tell you. I like the free standing tail lights for one. I like the free standing headlights on the 62. I watch The Beverly Hillbillies once in a while. As hokey as that show is, when Mr. Drysdale's Imperial glides up to the front door I have to wipe drool off the TV. As for the 56, all I can say is it hit me like a brick one day. Looked at a picture, decided I needed one.

I think the 62 Cadillac is ugly as hell. The 59 was beauty in motion but it didn't age well. The 56 Cadillac was beautiful but very bulky. The 56 Imperial was large, but not ungainly. I know the Imperial had the free standing headlights in other years, but something about the 62 just grabs me.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

1957_Imperial

Post by 1957_Imperial »

I am from Dunedin, New Zealand, Graham Rollo, been a car nut since very early age, I was lucky my father was also one. I have had many cars over the years. I am partner Director in a scrap metal firm. Have been to USA a few times, I do a lot of events all over of New Zealand in my cars, they are to be driven & enjoy. Been a member of the online Imperial club since 1992
Attachments
109.jpg
Graham Rollo, New Zealand
1930 Ford Model A coupe
1939 Chev tudor sedan
1956 Buick Riveria coupe
1956 Continental Mark II
!957 Imperial Southampton Coupe
1987 Harley FXR

Michael

Post by Michael »

Hi, i am Michael from Germany and own a 70 Imperial. It is my third old car from the Chrysler Company. In the 80s I drove a 69 Roadrunner for 4 years and sold it then. Always missed it. In 2004 I had the opportunity to buy a 69 Coronet R/T that I still own. And last year I bought the Imperial.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Michael wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm Hi, i am Michael from Germany and own a 70 Imperial. It is my third old car from the Chrysler Company. In the 80s I drove a 69 Roadrunner for 4 years and sold it then. Always missed it. In 2004 I had the opportunity to buy a 69 Coronet R/T that I still own. And last year I bought the Imperial.
How do you go about sourcing these old US cars in Germany? Is there a big market for them there?

One of these days I'm going to make it back to the motherland to see where I came from.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

1957_Imperial wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:38 am I am from Dunedin, New Zealand, Graham Rollo, been a car nut since very early age, I was lucky my father was also one. I have had many cars over the years. I am partner Director in a scrap metal firm. Have been to USA a few times, I do a lot of events all over of New Zealand in my cars, they are to be driven & enjoy. Been a member of the online Imperial club since 1992
Nice looking 57, I too am a 57 owner but mine is in the shop getting an engine rebuild right now. Hoping to get it back soon to enjoy it this spring. The 57 is one of my favorite style Imperial - I bet yours pulls a crowd whenever you drive it around!

BUCKY

Post by BUCKY »

Hello, friends!
BUCKY, here.
Keith Buckner from southern middle Tennessee. I've been a MOPAR man all my life. When I was born, in1955, my first ride home was in my Dad's 1948 Dodge.
I've owned my 1968 Imperial Crown convertible since 1998. It's not in perfect shape, but we really enjoy driving and riding in it. It's been in numerous parades since I bought it.
The car supposedly was owned by Sally Anne Howse, of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang fame (Truly Scrumptious). I have a California registration slip with her name on it. It was also owned by Manuel Cuevas, the clothier to the stars. When he moved from Hollywood to Nashville, he brought the '68 with him.
I have been searching for various parts for this automobile since 1998. Not an easy thing to do!
The current fleet in my driveway consists of the '68 Imperial, '89 Chrysler TC by Maserati, '90 Jaguar XJS V-12 convertible, '98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, '08 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, and a '17 Chrysler 300s.

Michael

Post by Michael »

ImperialAtom wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:18 am
Michael wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm Hi, i am Michael from Germany and own a 70 Imperial. It is my third old car from the Chrysler Company. In the 80s I drove a 69 Roadrunner for 4 years and sold it then. Always missed it. In 2004 I had the opportunity to buy a 69 Coronet R/T that I still own. And last year I bought the Imperial.
How do you go about sourcing these old US cars in Germany? Is there a big market for them there?

One of these days I'm going to make it back to the motherland to see where I came from.
I bought the car from a friend who had it imported about 15 years ago. The market is not so big, but good cars are not cheap.

watchfatha1

Post by watchfatha1 »

I'm Norm, originally from New York City (where they make that salsa), now in the San Diego area for the past 25 years. My father used to buy Imperials when they were 2 years old because they were very high quality cars-and they depreciated like a stone, so they represented great value. The first one I drove was his 65 Crown 4 door (Black, white vinyl top, white leather "Executive Aircraft" seats)-with AC, Auto Pilot and a reverberator. What a looker that car was! After that it was a 68 Crown 4 door with AC, Vinyl top, leather and the then-new Am/Fm/Stereo player (mounted under the dash). This being New York, we enjoyed that player for about 6 months until some street miscreant broke the vent window and chopped it out of the car.

Since then I've had at least one of every year Imperial from 59 to 68, some multiples-many convertibles. I love to work on them (before 67 because they're easier to troubleshoot under the dash).

Now that I'm older I have patience to rebuild carburetors and track down faults-stuff I had no patience for as a kid in Brooklyn. My current Imperial is a 66 convert with AC/Auto Pilot and flasher. Everything works on this 45,000 mile original. Unfortunately, the fellow that had it before me had a bad marriage and his wife hit the car with a hammer-in many places. It is now in the body shop being repaired and painted.

That's it. Good to meet everyone

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

watchfatha1 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:24 pm Now that I'm older I have patience to rebuild carburetors and track down faults-stuff I had no patience for as a kid in Brooklyn. My current Imperial is a 66 convert with AC/Auto Pilot and flasher. Everything works on this 45,000 mile original. Unfortunately, the fellow that had it before me had a bad marriage and his wife hit the car with a hammer-in many places. It is now in the body shop being repaired and painted.

That's it. Good to meet everyone
Hey Norm, welcome to the forum!

Sad to hear your friend's ex decided to take out her anger on the innocent car. I also am driving a 66 convertible currently, and really like it. Just picked mine up last Oct. My 57 is in the shop right now going through an engine rebuild that is taking forever.

How does the auto pilot work on these cars? And what is the flasher option?