Importing Parts from the USA

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
Ottawa Mike

Importing Parts from the USA

Post by Ottawa Mike »

I just bought some parts for my 1964 convertible from a guy in the USA. This is to warn people about issues I run into. The basic choices are using US/Canadian postal services or Fedex/UPS. I first wanted to use the postal services, even thought they are much slower, as they are supposed to be cheaper. However, we ended up agreeing to use Fedex as they were more convenient and appeared cheaper.

About a month after getting the parts I got an unexpected bill from Fedex for $136 CAD. Roughly the same amount I was charged in US dollars up front for shipping. This included $55 in broker fees, HST on the broker fees, HST on the value of the parts, and $17 in duty. After calling customs and CRA to dispute the duty and GST it looks like the only thing I may get back is the $17 I paid in duty. Full GST is applied on used parts, especially if they are imported.

I am not sure exactly what would have happened if I would have used the postal services so if someone can shed some light this that would be helpful. In this regard I understand they do not charge a broker fee. So that would be a $55 CAD savings. Give the higher price up front for the postal services I may have ended up in roughly the same place as I would likely still have to pay GST.

Normally, I would use my mail box on the US side of the boarder but this is not an option these days.

Crown64

Re: Importing Parts from the USA

Post by Crown64 »

I have regularly used the USPS to ship parts to Canada. I pack the part, go to the post office, complete the customs certificate (truthfully) and brace for the damage. Just recently, I sent a power seat transmission to BC and priority shipping with $200 insurance coverage cost $44. On the other hand, I sent a single die-cast chrome letter to Ontario. The post office made me buy a large, stiff envelope because the little carton I packed it in was too small to attach the customs certificate. Envelope: $4, postage and insurance: $26.50, for a letter sold for $10. One could become insolvent at a rapid rate with enough transactions like this one, LOL. But I have never had a shipment lost or damaged, and there are no brokerage fees.

I have two friends in Victoria to whom I regularly ship parts. I ship them to an agency in Blaine, Washington, who is a bonded shipping/customs agent with the Canadian government. I ship the items to Washington, USPS priority, and the agency takes them to the customs station at the airport, "under bond". Customs notifies the recipients of the arrival of the parcel. The recipient brings a confirming e-mail from me, entitled "packing list" which states the value of each item. Supposedly, an import duty attaches for anything over $100, but my friends have often had the duty waived on parcels valued at $125 or $150.

I would never ship to Canada using FedEx. I learned that the hard way. I packed a part for shipment, completed the customs declaration, and paid the $104 to ship it (It was a fairly long piece of stainless trim). This was supposedly at the FedEx discounted rate which applies when you "open an account" which is linked to your bank account for direct debit. I thought no more of this until, without any notice at all, there was a FedEx charge to my account for $236, in addition to the $104. Turns out, the carton was 1/2 inch too long, so the shipping rate was more than doubled, and then there were assorted duties and taxes. When I disputed the charge, FedEx stated that because the package was 96.5 inches, it was rounded up to 97 inches, which put it into surcharge territory, and what they charged me at the FedEx counter was not final and binding. They also stated that "I should have known" that any shipment to another country would include a subsequent billing for duties and taxes. What a disaster, and never again! Needless to say, the recipient was not about to reimburse me for these extra charges.

Having had poor experiences with UPS, I only use them as a last resort. I shipped a rare and valuable piece of chrome diecast, and "insured" it for $500. It arrived, looking like the Montreal Canadiens had used it as a hockey stick. I was informed that in actuality, I had not insured it at all. The $500 was a "declared value" which only raised the shipping rate, and required the recipient to sign for it. Fortunately, I had a duplicate diecast chrome moulding to send to the recipient, by USPS.

Thanks to the current Adminstration politicising the post office during the pandemic, the USPS has been short-staffed, has had high employee turnover, and has more people than ever who are not qualified for the jobs in which they are placed. But all in all, I will continue to use the USPS for shipping to Canada (or to a agent/broker on the American side of the border for delivery to Canada).

All of which makes me thankful for being a "working stiff" at a regular "day job", rather than selling car parts for a living.

-Charles Fares
1964 Imperial Crown Convertible
1969 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1989 Cadillac Fleetwood
1972 Lincoln Continental

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

I have been burned by the late FedEx charges as well. Shipped cross-country via FedEx and they claimed my package weighed a few extra pounds than what I reported. (my scales are likely better than what they have) So without any chance of dispute or discussion, they simply charge me more automatically - a lot more.

As you say, they push you into some new classification so they can bill you a whole lot more. I try my very best to not use FedEx or UPS. FedEx is greedy after the fact, UPS is greedy up front, and they both treat the package worse than USPS does. It's rare that USPS is more expensive, so I stick with them, and have the added bonus of them picking up packages right from my front door, free of charge.

I know it differs for people depending on where you live in the country, some areas have post offices that absolutely destroy packages, but I currently do not live in one of those areas.

Too Many Mopars

Post by Too Many Mopars »

Yeah it's unfortunate there are no good options. I vowed to never use UPS after someone shipped me a fiberglass hood that got destroyed in transit which was supposed to be insured but somehow wasn't so I was out of luck :roll:

But every other shipper has their issues too, so you're stuck no matter which you choose :cry:
Too Many Mopars: 2015 Challenger; 2007 Magnum; 1989 New Yorker; 1974 LeBaron :D :D :D :D

Ottawa Mike

Post by Ottawa Mike »

Thanks guys. For me the best option has always been to use the shipping address (mail box) I have in Massena NY and bring items across the border myself with full declaration. A one hour drive for me one way. So now that that option is not available you guys are confirming my suspicions that USPS is the second best option. I hope the border opens soon.
In fact I have been toying with the idea for some time of getting setup to import stuff for other people as a hobby/business.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

That would be a good business.

Until they open the border, just setup your own underground railroad like system... cross over in the middle of the woods somewhere. :) Don't let the man keep you down!

chrycoed

Post by chrycoed »

Shipping anything cross-border right now is a risky process due to the on going shutdowns. I've decided to wait out a few things I want for another non-mopar project as I sent some stuff to Sweden and it took 8 weeks to arrive due to lockdowns. It usually takes 4-5 days at most.