23 Gal. fuel tank 62-73 Imperials

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
joezimp

23 Gal. fuel tank 62-73 Imperials

Post by joezimp »

I have a '62 Imperial Custom 4-dr. hardtop. It uses a 23 gallon fuel tank with filler neck entry from the center of the rear bumper area. I think that the Imperials used the same arrangement from 62 through 73 models. It is possible that the same tank may have been used.

Have any of you cleaned the fuel tank of old gummy deposits and how did you do it?

Have any of you found a replacement and what was the source?

Jay Leno said that he had a new fuel tank made for his Imperial. Does anyone know the source for the new fuel tank he bought?

DonFromTexas

Re: 23 Gal. fuel tank 62-73 Imperials

Post by DonFromTexas »

I bought a new one for my 1959 from Vans. The same tank was used for many years and theirs were made with option of filler pipe location. Try them at this location, find people to work wth: https://vansauto.com/product/57-59-imperial-gas-tank/

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

I have used the chain in the gas tank with acetone method. Worked great, but it also revealed pinholes rusted through. Although you would need to know that sort of thing.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

slanflat wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:54 pm I have used the chain in the gas tank with acetone method. Worked great, but it also revealed pinholes rusted through. Although you would need to know that sort of thing.
That's interesting, I had never heard of that. I assume you drop a long chain down there with the end hanging out? How do you get it to rattle around to knock the rust off? Drive it? Or is this a tank-off approach where you would shake the tank while it's off the car?

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

Tank off method. Drop a chain, coins, rocks, whatever into the tank and put in some sort of liquid, I suppose water would work. I like acetone. Shake it a lot and then dump the chain/whatever out and the nasty looking liquid. Repeat a couple times. I tried my best to save the original tank in my 57 Chevy, and the last round with the chain showed pin holes. Not even good for coating.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I have tried them all, including the "slosh" method with mixed results. Since you can get a perfect brand new one for only $300, I would suggest the best thing to do is get a brand new one. It is impossible to completely de-rust or clean tne inside of that tank, and fighting loose slosh, remaining rust, and loosened up old gasoline goo can last as long as you own the car.