BUDD disc brake pads - the holy grail

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
JJ-1957

BUDD disc brake pads - the holy grail

Post by JJ-1957 »

Those of us with factory original disc brakes - 4-Piston caliper BUDD brakes from '66 to '69 - will some day run out of brake pads. So did I. These brake pads are now extinct and my quest to find a leftover set felt like I was looking for the holy grail. No, Rockauto does not have them. Nobody has. I hope I am not the last man standing with BUDD disc brakes.

Can anyone tell me where I can find them ?

If not, I would try to find a company that is able and willing to produce 100 pads or so of high quality.
Does anyone else need these pads ?

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: BUDD disc brake pads - the holy grail

Post by ImperialAtom »

Well I know it's not what you want, but if you look on RockAuto under 1969, it does have brake pads for that year. Prior to that year it doesn't have them, but the caliper model numbers are the same 4 piston style for previous years as with 69, so I would assume the brake pads they are selling for 69 will fit your car. You won't be able to advertise you have BUDD brakes, but you'll still have BUDD calipers. :)

I would give the semi-metallic ACDELCO a try first, before trying to get a shop to create you 100+ custom brake pads, but it's your money. :)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chr ... +wheel+hub

JJ-1957

Post by JJ-1957 »

Thanks for your reply ImperialAtom. The pads you mentioned are the later style and unfortunately they do not fit, I wish they would. I have a set here collecting dust. Here is a picture of the brake caliper:
Attachments
Budds1.jpg
Budds1.jpg (148.22 KiB) Viewed 3809 times

JJ-1957

Post by JJ-1957 »

Maybe I was wrong with the model years. It's 1966 to 1968, not sure about '69.

Tonys67

Post by Tonys67 »

I bought a set of four new pads for my 67 through eBay a couple of years ago. Can't recall from which seller though.

However, just did a quick search and found these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Pads-MoPa ... SwnhdeRH8I

A bit pricey perhaps, but might still be cheaper than having larger batch produced. And they are quite hard to find elsewhere as you mention.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

JJ-1957 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:12 pm Maybe I was wrong with the model years. It's 1966 to 1968, not sure about '69.
The caliper model number was the same from 66-69 on RockAuto. So either RockAuto has the wrong caliper model listed for 69, or the pads listed for 69 should fit your BUDD calipers. Wouldn't be the first time RockAuto had the wrong part number listed.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Did you ever find some brakes that would work for you?

gary h

Post by gary h »

ATLAS in Calif. may have them

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

I have several sets of caliper cores but I don’t think they’re too hard to find.
1967 Crown Coupe, 1964 Impvertible, 1971 Challenger convertible, 1968 Road Runner, 1967 Mobile Director
http://mattmichalec.com/