Garage Lift - Anyone installed one?

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Garage Lift - Anyone installed one?

Post by ImperialAtom »

Once I get the car flipped around and raised, will get some pictures taken and let you know. You have to lift the front (heavy end) of the car on the side of the lift with the hoses coming out. Basically the end where the scissor action folds up to is where the weight needs to be, which makes sense.

It comes with some short and tall rubber bocks so the car isn't laying directly on the metal, so that will raise it up a bit more too. There's others that will raise up to 15 inches higher than this one (55" vs 40"), but they were much thinner and had only a 6000 lb capacity. The reduced capacity and skinny unstable design just didn't feel like the right choice when working on Imperials.

There are ramps to install also, but I left them off for now while the car isn't driving so it would be easier to roll the lift under the car.

1957_Imperial

Post by 1957_Imperial »

have you tried it yet ?
Graham Rollo, New Zealand
1930 Ford Model A coupe
1939 Chev tudor sedan
1956 Buick Riveria coupe
1956 Continental Mark II
!957 Imperial Southampton Coupe
1987 Harley FXR

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

1957_Imperial wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:21 am have you tried it yet ?
Yes I have. The frame of the 57 was not as wide as I had assumed and so it only rests on the inner edges of the lift platforms. I still need to swing by home depot to get a couple 4x4s to slide under the to spread the weight of the frame out on the lift platforms so that it's more centered.

Even as it is, I went ahead and raised it up to the first position and it didn't have any trouble raising it. It did drop pretty fast though, so I need to adjust that so it won't go down at that speed - there is an adjustment for that.

Next time I have it up, I'll snap a few pictures.