My third 59 Imperial Crown

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
DonFromTexas

Re: My third 59 Imperial Crown

Post by DonFromTexas »

I recently obtained a Mexico connection at a chrome shop. Dirt cheap chrome, and perfection on the most terrible pitted potmetal.
This was a badly pitted hood ornament, a real prize among the 59 crowd, just look at it now!
Attachments
slcimp355.jpg

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Agree with that! I have much more respect for those at car shows who have a unique classic. Don't have any problem with people who pull up in a mustang, but I give the guy who shows up with an Imperial more credit as it was more of an art to restore it compared to a guided path with something more common. Similar to a Cadillac - I love Cadillacs, but everything is fully documented for you, all parts are available... just doesn't feel as impressive.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Nice! You'll have to share that new found connection with us. :)

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I will, but not easy. My contact is the sister of the guy that owns the business. She lives in the USA but goes back to family about every weekend (It is about 120 miles south of Matamoros). Very low key no printed receipts or such. She is drumming up business for her brother and runs the stuff down and back. When it arrives he gives her what he will charge, you say yea or nay, and ihe goes to work. Next time down she picks it up and brings it back and you pay in cash.
She been doing this for years, nobody has ever had any loss, but as you can see it is a trust system.
Attachments
slcimp354.jpg

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

For all of this cost was $220. The curved pieces were 5 foot long and total junk, hood ornament was more like a throwaway item. All is absolutely perfect now. Here is a before of the curved piece and ornament:
Attachments
slcimp230.JPG
slcimp359.jpeg
slcimp360.jpeg

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I am told that the more she brings down, the cheaper it gets! If someone wants, they can ship to me and I will include in the next batch going over.. And a big warning from him NO ALUMINUM PARTS!!!!!
And of course if a drug cartel captures it, YOU have to pay the ransom
:lol: :oops:

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

I just checked my bumper I had re-chromed two years ago and it's already got some rust spots coming through. So frustrating. I might be sending a whole set your way one of these days. :)

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

This is all "triple Chrome" I understand some are not doing that. To do good you need to plate the bumper with copper, it sticks to iron, then coat it with nickel, it sticks well to copper, then the chrome that sticks well to nickel. I understand one can go nickel direct to iron, and it won't last very long. I am not an expert, but that is what I understand probably happened to your bumper

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

They claim it was triple plated, but who knows how well they covered it. The rust seems to be coming through at the edges, like they didn't give it much time to get a very thick coating.

gary h

Post by gary h »

"I just checked my bumper I had re-chromed two years ago and it's already got some rust spots coming through."

Could you share the the Chrome plater or the Location so we can avoid them ?