'59 vs 64-6 imperial questions.

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
63ImpCB

'59 vs 64-6 imperial questions.

Post by 63ImpCB »

Good afternoon everyone,

Over the next couple of years, I plan on saving up to purchase an imperial. The 1959 model really catches my eye as well as the 64-66 cars. I would like to purchase a driver quality car with minimum to no rust and autopilot and dual air conditioning. I love 4 door hardtops. I would also prefer a Crown or Lebaron. What is a price I would expect to pay for this type of car? Are the prices just about the same for these two different generations of Imperials? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: '59 vs 64-6 imperial questions.

Post by ImperialAtom »

You will be happy with either generation, they are all excellent cars. The 59 is usually worth a little more as it had a unique front end when compared to other years. 60 was also a very unique look, but while the 59 was mostly universally appreciated, people either love or hate the 60 model year design with it's smiley face bumper. A nice driver quality 59 hardtop is likely going to be around the upper teens to low twenties if I had to guess, depending on what's wrong with it.

As for the 64-66 year, you'll have an easier time finding parts from what I have experienced. There's a little more power in those later years, especially with the 66. The 66 had the big 440 engine in it. It's also worth noting the 64-66 just feel like a more modern car (in my opinion). A good driver quality in almost any of these years could be had for 10-15k.

And I'm like you, I really love the 4 door hardtops. Roll all the windows down and it's as close to a convertible as you can get without having the sun burning your head. :)

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Also reach out to DonFromTexas on here, he has several 59's that he's restoring. At the very least he can probably fill you in on all the details and what to watch out for, and possibly he may be looking to sell one. I'm sure his will have a bit of a premium as he has invested money into new paint, new upholstery, engine rebuilds, etc. Great guy with a lot to share.

63ImpCB

Post by 63ImpCB »

Thank you both for the replies. I really appreciate the information. Doing a bit more research, I just realized that there was a sedan version in '59 also. What could I expect to pay for one of these? Thanks again.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

I believe the sedan will be around the same price as the hardtop.

63ImpCB

Post by 63ImpCB »

Thank you. Looks like I'll start saving up for a fine '59. 😃

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Good luck on the hunt! A 59 is a great year for an Imperial.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I read this with interest, since I have two 59s, a four door hardtop and a four door sedan. Both are still under some degree of restoration, but will be for sale when done since I am too old to drive them. The Southampton is only awaiting upholstery, but the sedan is in the paint and body shop as we speak. I have only seen three in my lifetime, and I owned all three! I have a love affair with them, since I owned one back when they were new and never got over them.
You must want to love them, there is a question as to if I can even get my restoration costs back, do not do it for profit. Parts are very difficult to find, and costly when and if found. Mine have all new brakes, fuel systems, tires and exhaust system among other things.
Here are some photos of them:
Attachments
slcimp390.jpg
njimp87.jpg
njimp72.jpg

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I of course am partial to the 59 for several reasons. I owned a 1969 LeBaron for a while, NO comparison in driving to a 59! The later models makes you feel like you are driving a boat on the highway, the 59 gives a far better feel of the road and does not seem to share that "boat effect" when driving.

63ImpCB

Post by 63ImpCB »

DonFromTexas wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:34 am I of course am partial to the 59 for several reasons. I owned a 1969 LeBaron for a while, NO comparison in driving to a 59! The later models makes you feel like you are driving a boat on the highway, the 59 gives a far better feel of the road and does not seem to share that "boat effect" when driving.
The '63 I owned had a good feel of the road. Don, would you mind sending me a private message? If the time is right when one of these cars is finished, perhaps I can purchase one.