Searching for a Special Imperial

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
DonFromTexas

Re: Searching for a Special Imperial

Post by DonFromTexas »

To the best of my knowledge no Imperials were ever flower cars back then, only 59 Cadillacs. This is an amateur incomplete conversion. I have done a couple and they were the nicest pickups I have ever owned! Having done some I appreciated the work done so far on this one, just too old to start one from scratch. The photoshopped one above was about to happen, until I discovered the engine had been overhauled - very poorly, and it needed a new engine. Just too much investment for the end product, but would have made a very nice one. Here is one I did that I dearly loved and used for years.
Attachments
Rebel3.jpg
Rebel3.jpg (41.3 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
rebel1.jpg

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

Don those are some clever vehicles. What ever happened to them, you just use them up? I think I've seen late 50 Imperials as hearses before, but couldn't put my finger on any pictures.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

It has been a long time, I forgot what I did with them. I bought the station wagon in Juarez for $20, had a bad engine, I towed it to El Paso, I rebuilt it and started cutting. Just removed everything that did not look like a pickup! I sure have fond memories of it. Back in those days pickups were hard to drive, noisy, no AC etc. This was a pleasure to drive, looked for an excuse to go somewhere! I sure wish I had kept it, would love to have it today! When you are a career US Army Officer, you shed yourself of most everything you own every couple of years.