Lock Picking

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
DonFromTexas

Lock Picking

Post by DonFromTexas »

A recent purchase from an estate of a 1956 Imperial left me with a trunk locked and no keys to anything. My research so far indicates these locks are very easy to pick and I intend to do just that. Has anyone had any experience with the current offerings of lock picking devices?

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Lock Picking

Post by ImperialAtom »

I just looked, there's a ton of videos on youtube for picking a car door. I've never done so myself, but most older locks for cars, homes, whatever, they were not as tough to pick as some of the modern stuff, so I'm sure with a basic set of lock picking tools, you can probably do it.

On a side note... I thought you were getting out of the hobby? Couldn't resist picking up another Imperial I see. :)

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

And do you have any pictures of the new car?

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

This is a slick trick for an old guy, restoration from a wheelchair! I found it far away in NW California, waiting for transport to pick it up and deliver it to me. Was one I hated to miss, probable one owner by a university professor, when he died his daughter left it parked in the garage until recently. ABSOLUTELY compete, never messed with car that had some really good care. I am actually "middle manning" the deal, when all the chrome and paint has been restored, it will go to a lover of 56 Imps in Canada.
Here are a few shots of it:
Attachments
CAimp.jpeg
caimp1.jpeg
CAimp4.jpeg
caimp5.jpeg
caimp6.jpeg
CAimp7.png

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I just love to learn new things, so I have a lock picker on order from Amazon and will fiddle with it until I learn how to do it. This car is exciting to me because there is nobody alive that has ever seen the inside of the trunk! I am ready for a surprise!
An estate clean up crew tossed a lot of stuff, including the title and the keys it appears. CA does not keep titles over 25 year, so a bill of sale and a Texas title will fix all that.

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

I love it! Too bad it isn't going to a lover of 56 Imps in Georgia...
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

I echo slanflat - love it. It's a solid looking 56 that just needs a repaint and some chrome work by appearances.

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

Don forgive me for hijacking your thread. On the subject of 56's, anyone know whatever happened to that black 56 that was in Vermont a couple years ago?

Back to Don. I don't see any rust around the window trim. Any idea what was facing that back door to give it such a scar?
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I have not seen it in person yet but it has been described as a minor dent that was poorly fixed and the bondo is falling off. I have a perfect door on hold in case a replacement is in order. So far it seems to be more easily fixed than scrapped.
A friend has described it as having NO rust on the body other than that door.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Back to the original subject, I bought a lock picking tool that apparently will open these old locks very easy. Has anyone ever had any experience with one of these?
Attachments
caimp37.jpg