Wide White Wall tires

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
slantflat

Wide White Wall tires

Post by slantflat »

Good morning everyone.

I thought I might have asked this question before but can't find it, so I'll ask it now. Does anyone know how wide the whitewall was on the 56 from the factory? I'm going to buy a set of tires from Diamondback and they give me a choice, and for whatever reason I've chosen tires to obsess about.

The tires on there now are Silvertowns, so a far cry from original. I don't know what the spare is but radial something so again not helpful.

These Diamondbacks are the bias looking radials, with the original tread pattern and pie plate edges. I might as well get the width of the whitewall right.

Thanks everyone.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Wide White Wall tires

Post by ImperialAtom »

I don't know for sure, but looking at some original brochure images may help you pick something as close as possible.

Here's some images from google:
https://www.google.com/search?q=1956+im ... 13&dpr=1.2

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

Thanks Adam. Diamondback lists 4 different white walls for my size of tire(820R15) 3 1/4, 3 1/2, 3 3/4, and 4 inch. This is the kind of thing I lose sleep over.

Slave to originality aside, since the tire is going to be correct in every other way, I might as well get the whitewall right as well. I mean, if I got the wrong size and then found out what the right size was later, I'd look at the car with disdain until the tires were replaced. Yes I know it wouldn't be the car's fault.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Wasn't even aware there were that many options.