What transmission do i have?

Topics related to the powertrain - engines, transmissions, and related parts.
61Bluewhale

What transmission do i have?

Post by 61Bluewhale »

Hello all,
I'm new like as of yesterday new to the Imperial Club. I just got a 1961 Imperial that has had 57 miles put on it in the last 18 years. I'm going through the process of changing all the fluids but when I research the transmission for the car that's where I start banging my head. I see read something about it having an A466 then the next page says an A488. I figure a car this old won't have a filter but most likely a screen instead but I'm looking long term as I want to keep the car stock so I know a rebuild will be in my future. I'm just rambling now so any help would be great. Thanks.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: What transmission do i have?

Post by ImperialAtom »

Welcome to the board!

While I can't answer the question of what trans the 1961 used, I can say that these transmissions are usually rebuilt for around 1000-1500. So if you can find a good reliable shop that knows the older transmissions, then it shouldn't break the bank.

Camlobe

Re: What transmission do i have?

Post by Camlobe »

I believe they are known as the A-466. There was a typo on some documentation so you will see it referred to as both. It is officially a Torqueflite, commonly known as the cast iron Torqueflite. There are rebuild kits but not all parts are available like the 727. I have seen inline trans filters available if you want to go that route. A 727 will bolt up to the 413 but you'll need a 440 crank and a different converter. You lose the pushbutton feature unless you find the one year the 727 had it (1962 maybe)?