Generator rebuild

Topics related to the powertrain - engines, transmissions, and related parts.
ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Generator rebuild

Post by ImperialAtom »

Once you get the back side off, you can start replacing the brushes. They were very easy to replace, just take a look and you'll see how it fit. They are set in a little spring container that push the brushes toward the commutator. Just pay close attention to the angle the brushes are set to ensure you put the new ones in the right way.
Attachments
re_20210418_145214.jpg
re_20210418_145322.jpg

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

While in there, you should check your bearing on the generator. If it's grinding at all, or doesn't feel smooth, then you should definitely replace it. If unsure, just replace it anyway for peace of mind.
Attachments
re_20210418_143907.jpg
re_20210418_143951.jpg

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Now just simply put everything back together and make sure the ends align correctly to the center housing. Mine had some little holes that I could use to align everything back up.

When putting the side with the brushes back in, be sure to push the brushes out so they can properly slide over the commutator end.

Once bolted back together, put it back on the engine, put the bottom two bolts in, put the belt on, pull it tight and put your top bolt back in and tighten it down while the belt tight. Tighten up the two bottom bolts as well now, and don't forget to hook up your wires on top of the generator using your picture as a reference.

Fire up the engine and make sure it doesn't blow up. :)

Get out a voltmeter and set it to DC and check what the voltage is on your car. It should be around 14 to 16 volts indicating it is charging your 12 volt battery. Mine would spike to 16 volts for a fraction of a second and then drop to 11.59 volts. This is why I believe the issue may be with my voltage regulator as mine is not generating a constant voltage.