Engine Cleaning techniques

Topics related to the powertrain - engines, transmissions, and related parts.
ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Engine Cleaning techniques

Post by ImperialAtom »

I'll be honest, I'm not usually out cleaning my cars all the time, I maybe wash them once a year, and I don't think I've ever cleaned an engine bay before. I know if it's bad you spray on the de-greaser and spray off later, but when the engine is already clean, what do the rest of you typically do to keep it clean?

Any tricks to help keep the dust from settling? Do they make some type of teflon for engines? :)

CSMiddlebrook

Re: Engine Cleaning techniques

Post by CSMiddlebrook »

If you've repainted parts to make that engine compartment look as good as new, I don't recommend the solvent based cleaners and degreasers out there. Especially the purple stuff (it now exists under many names). That will remove enamel paint faster than brake fluid. I use simple green, a good amount of water pressure, and a series of paint brushes (the cheapo plastic bristle ones you get dime a dozen) where I cut about an inch or so of the bristles to make them a bit stronger. You can also cut them in taper or other shapes to better fit your area of cleaning. I do my engine compartment cleaning about twice a year, and it holds up pretty well.