57 replacement carb adapter

Topics related to the powertrain - engines, transmissions, and related parts.
ImperialAtom
Site Admin

57 replacement carb adapter

Post by ImperialAtom »

I replaced the carb on my 57 Imp with an edelbrock 1406 and it seemed to work well after figuring our the throttle linkage, but it always bugged me that the air cleaner would not fit and I had to get something modern instead of using the classic air cleaner that lays over on the side.

Has anyone found a good adapter that would allow me to use the old air cleaner on my modern carb? I found one on ebay and it didn't really fit too well and raised the air cleaner up so high I couldn't get the wingnut back on, and it ran the air filter right into the hood as well, which I assume probably is not a good thing.

Thinking at this point I might want to simply rebuild the original and go back to that, but this seems like it would be a common problem that someone has easily solved.

mikey62

Re: 57 replacement carb adapter

Post by mikey62 »

The older afb had a smaller diameter air inlet, about all you can find for an adapter are plastic rings that have their own set of problems, as you have found. I had a 62, been there done that. You might find a later mopar air cleaner that is lower and will sit down over the carb but you might end up paying premium for it, as the muscle car stuff is becoming more and more sought after or you might have to go thru several to find one that fits the way you want.

What was wrong with the original, AFB carbs are among the easiest to rebuild provided the throttle shafts arent worn out and sloppy, the resulting vac leak from that is difficult to get around. Finding someone who knows them in most modern shops can also be a problem.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Correct, from the videos I've seen, it appears the AFB carbs are easy enough if you get the right kit. I do have a kit for it, but never rebuilt a carb and the only part I'm not looking forward to is soaking the carb in cleaning solution.

Was just hoping there might be a good solution for those that want to use a modern carb but keep that retro look with the air cleaner.

Anyone ever try to expand the original air cleaner to fit a modern carb?

Worker Bee

Post by Worker Bee »

I have an idea, but I'm going to need a measurement. Your Edelbrock 1406 needs an opening of 5-1/32 (5.031"). What is the I.D. (inside dimension) of the Imperial air cleaner?

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Worker Bee wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:54 pm I have an idea, but I'm going to need a measurement. Your Edelbrock 1406 needs an opening of 5-1/32 (5.031"). What is the I.D. (inside dimension) of the Imperial air cleaner?
I'll have to get back with you on that. The 57 is in the shop right now.

mikey62

Post by mikey62 »

As I recall, the early ones were something like 4 7/32, right at 4 1/4. One could take the lower part of an later air cleaner housing and cut it off at the base and then find a suitable diameter filter and some sort of aftermarket top, or just section a newer one if its too tall.