1959 Imperial

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
Omni

1959 Imperial

Post by Omni »

Good Day All
Helping a friend trying to resurrect a '59 Imperial convertible. This car was brought to his shop in pieces (MANY boxes).
I am helping with the wiring. A "Painless" harness was purchased, so that is our starting point. This is not being restored to OEM. We do have a FSM with schematics.
This car is equipped with both a manual and automatic turn signal cancelling switches. (?) One on the dash (manual), one mounted on the steering column (automatic). The turn signal relay has 14 terminals.
The automatic cancelling switch is broken so we would like to eliminate it. Not sure if the stock T.S. relay is functional or not.
The question is: Can the auto cancelling switch and stock relay be eliminated? Would one re-wire it like a later model mopar? If so any particular year?
Another question concerning the auto cancel switch. The switch has a small roller that looks similar to a later model horn switch. If it does, and the switch is eliminated, looking for thoughts on having a working horn. (Short of just mounting a button on the dash).
Thanks to all who respond

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: 1959 Imperial

Post by ImperialAtom »

Welcome to the forum!

Yes these early Imperials had the turn signal control on the dash, and had a turn signal cancel switch in the steering wheel so after you turn it would turn off the signal like a modern car. I personally have never worked on that circuit, it has just worked in my two cars. I would imagine you could simply disconnect the switch cancel wires that lead into the steering wheel, but one may be required as a hot wire to drive the horn.

I know on mine, I can both set and cancel the turn signals from the dash control, so if the steering wheel component were to fail one day, I doubt I would bother to replace it.

Hopefully someone here who has worked through that part of the car can shed some light on the topic.

gary h

Re: 1959 Imperial

Post by gary h »

A rare car indeed !