Retainer for Insignia/Letters

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
DonFromTexas

Retainer for Insignia/Letters

Post by DonFromTexas »

On my 1959 Crown, the word Imperial is spelled out in letters both on the fenders and on the hood. Those letters have small pins on the back that go into holes on the body. They are held in place by a very small clip (retainer) that is inserted into the hole in the body, and they have spring clips that hold the letters.
I cannot find a source for these retainers, has anybody sourced them recently?

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Retainer for Insignia/Letters

Post by ImperialAtom »

Do you have a picture of an original one?

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Here's a few things I was able to find, maybe one of these would work?

https://www.eastwood.com/univ-push-on-r ... gJXKvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/i/313046036448?chn ... gKN2PD_BwE

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Yes, I have photos but after an hour of trying to post I just gave up. I don't know why it can be made so difficult to simply post a photo. Can anyone help?

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Yeah, it should be very easy. Just go into the full editor mode (you should see a full editor mode at the bottom of any post) and then drag your picture right over the chat area where you would type your message. There will be some dotted lines that show up - you just drop image there and it uploads it.

Drag-n-drop

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

My first try of using photos here:
Attachments
slcimp195.jpg
slcimp196.jpg

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Hey thanks! It was in fact very easy but I was trying hard to make it difficult!

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Looks like those little retainers I linked to earlier on eBay might work for you. It's not exactly the same, but it looks like it might work.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

They would work where you can get to the back of the letters, in most case it is blind with no access to the back side of the letter.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

:roll: :oops: I have to laugh so I don't cry. Restoration of this beast has been almost comical. The BIG parts, gas tank, complete exhaust system, total brake renewal, new carb, wide whitewall tires, even material to match the original have been as easy to obtain as clicking my mouse.
The real problems have been over such teeny little parts like this, hours of time invested and no clue yet on how to get them. I will keep looking, but so far all leads have led to - nothing! Of course one can cover the holes and leave the letters off, not an option for me. The other option is slop then on, as was done years ago when it was painted, which led to letters falling off and being very hard to find replacements. What is a guy supposed to do?