1959 Imperial Crown Southampton Restoration

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
DonFromTexas

1959 Imperial Crown Southampton Restoration

Post by DonFromTexas »

On the four door hardtop models, there is a rubber insert on the front side of the rear door glass. Mine are rotted off and look bad. Other MOPARs used similar, the part number is different but I think I can use them if they fit the slot on the window frame.
Has anyone found a replacement source for these rubbers or found something that will work there?

DonFromTexas

Re: 1959 Imperial Crown Southampton Restoration

Post by DonFromTexas »

I got another problem! My 1959 Imperial is going to paint on Tues, I need the inner door panels removed and cannot figure out how to remove them. Can anyone help me figure it out?

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Don - I don't have the 59 service manual, but I think my 57 is likely close enough. Here's the pages that describe that for the 57 model year.
Attachments
manual 374.jpg
manual 375.jpg
manual 376.jpg

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

THANKS!!! I guess the company decided that after two years of taking them off, they did not need it to be included in the 58 or 59 manuals that I have.
Thanks again!

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

slcimp267.jpg
59 has a different handle, not covered in 1957. This is the one fighting me now:

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Looks just like my 57 door handle. Never done it, but my guess is you would loosen the trim piece that is around the door handle, then detach the door handle - I think these are held in with a screw not too far down. Once you do that, the rest of the door panel should just pop off I would assume. Going entirely off assumption here and what I remember as my 57 is still in the shop.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Finally found it. One must put an allen wrench down along side of that handle and unscrew a retaining lock screw, then it pulls right out! Feeling smart right now, I did not break anything decoding it.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Glad you figured it out!

Too Many Mopars

Post by Too Many Mopars »

DonFromTexas wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:44 pm Finally found it. One must put an allen wrench down along side of that handle and unscrew a retaining lock screw, then it pulls right out! Feeling smart right now, I did not break anything decoding it.
Definitely a great feeling!

And of course pics of the finished job are requested
Too Many Mopars: 2015 Challenger; 2007 Magnum; 1989 New Yorker; 1974 LeBaron :D :D :D :D

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

For anyone with a similar door panel, here are some photos of what one is dealing with. The only screws you can see, are not holding on trim, but actually screwed to a bracket in the door frame so when you use the armrest it is attached directly to the door frame. The funny thing with four holes in it, first photo, does not appear in the parts manual. :lol:
Attachments
slcimp271.jpg
slcimp270.jpg
slcimp269.jpg
slcimp268.jpg