1959 Imperial Crown Southampton Restoration

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
DonFromTexas

Re: 1959 Imperial Crown Southampton Restoration

Post by DonFromTexas »

Now in the paint shop for color change, with a photo of what it will look like when repainted.
Attachments
slcimp275.jpg
slcimp278.jpg
slcimp281.jpg
slcimp296.jpg
slcimp299.jpg

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Going to look great with a nice fresh coat of paint. Looks like a real paint job and not a maaco paint job :)

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

For some reason the Gray Rose Metallic does not reproduce well in photos. In fact the bottom photo is the most accurate color, not the car photo.
It is in fact a very rare color for 1959, no brochures show it and I have only found a few. I call it mauve.

gary h

Post by gary h »

You doing Clear coat or Enamel ?

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Base coat/clear coat. The guy has a system for show cars, several coats of clear sanded between coats, then the final coat is sanded (1500 grit) and then polished. Looks like the car is encased in a glass shield!
The only bad part, it don't look original, but I can live with that!

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I am stumped again, I just bought another 59 Imperial. No trim tag, only vin tag, and I am trying to match the upholstery material for ordering new stuff from SMS. I feel sure this is original upholstery but others have said it is NOT original.
Has anyone ever seen seats like this?
Second question: The ignition key has been lost along the line. Can a locksmith make a new key in the car, or must the switch be removed and taken to a locksmith?
Attachments
nj4.jpg
nj4.jpg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 2631 times