1959 Imperial parts

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
DonFromTexas

1959 Imperial parts

Post by DonFromTexas »

My rear air conditioner air intake grille baked in the sun for 61 years and is in rough shape. I have been gluing it back together and trying to restore it, but would love to replace it with something neater. Any suggestions?
Attachments
slcimp199.jpg

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: 1959 Imperial parts

Post by ImperialAtom »

Could probably 3d print something if you know someone with a 3d printer. They even make metallic like plastic that looks pretty good.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

NOW you atell me, after I sold my 3d printer last month! Only problem with that is that to my knowledge you need a perfect one to scan for the print.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Or just measure it and design a new one that is 95% of the way there. The 3d modeling tools are designed where you can put in measurements for objects and they should come out perfectly sized as you need them. It may not look 100% original, but pretty darn close if you work at it.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

If you do try the 3d printer route to make this, I would recommend using the ABS plastic as it is stronger. That would be good for those thin pieces.

I got a 3d printer that might be large enough to print it, but I've never built a 3d model from scratch.

Before even trying, can you measure the longest width of that vent? That will at least tell me if it will even fit on my printer bed.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

19.25 inch long

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Looks like my 3d printer can go up to 12.2 inches long. Can you send me some more dimensions? I'll take a crack at one of these 3d designer tools to see what I can come up with.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

OK, here are a couple more photos. In sitting thinking about it if you made a print of HALF of it, it could be glued together with another half to make a whole one, easy to do. Also, the holes are somewhat picky on location, so lets say to ignore ALL holes and then drill them with precision. Whadda ya think? Now of course we need a couple hundred other owners to pitch in and one one too!
Attachments
slcimp200.jpg
slcimp201.jpg

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Also, the two center bars actually run from side to side, the two vacant places are lost items.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Don't need a 100 people... that's the beauty of 3d printing. It doesn't cost much to make just one.