Autopilot indicator repair

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
Dan

Re: Autopilot indicator repair

Post by Dan »

I finally have it all back together. A short back story. What started me down this road, was I thought I had lost my keys. After taking the panel apart to get the ignition switch out, I found the keys. They were right where I had put them for safe keeping. Top right draw of my roller chest.

All the knobs came off without having to loosen the allen screws. So someone was in there one time.

To help anyone else out, here are some pictures and explanations.
Under steering column panel
Under steering column panel
This panel needs to be removed to reach a screw that holds the panel of the switches in place as seen in the next picture.
Side screw
Side screw
The side screw sits in the hole of the front switch panel.
Side view front panel
Side view front panel
Here is the order of the autopilot switch knob and indicator assembly. You can see the hole at the top of the panel for the only other screw holding the panel in. That screw is where the ignition switch is.
Knob parts
Knob parts
Here is the dash without the panel and knobs in place. You can see where that side screw comes through to hold the front panel.
Side Panel Marked Screw.jpg
The problem I ran into was how to reach the allen screw on the collar that drives the indicator dial.
collar and indicator dial
collar and indicator dial
The indicator has to slide onto the autopilot control shaft first. To do this, you have to have the flat side down or it will not pass the lower edge of the dash.
Indicator on shaft incorrectly
Indicator on shaft incorrectly
This is showing it going on properly.
Indicator on shaft correclty
Indicator on shaft correclty
The next issue, is getting the front panel all the way on. If it is not on correctly, the keyed end of the indicator does not stick out far enough through the front panel. You will not be able to reach the allen screw of the drive collar to tighten it. This is incorrect panel positioning. You see the indicator is not through the hole. You can see the screw in place at the ignition switch.
Incorrect front panel position
Incorrect front panel position
This is the correct position with the indicator protruding through such that the collar will key to it and you will be able to reach its set screw.
Correct front panel position
Correct front panel position
With the panel on properly, you can slide the control ring on so that it's keyed with the indicator and then easily reach the allen screw. The service manual specifically states to have the screw up, when making the calibration adjustments. I noted the original allen screw witness mark on the shaft, turned the shaft so the mark was at 12:00 o'clock and set the indicator so that the key slots were inline with the numbers showing. This puts the indicator with the numbers 5/6 at at the 12:00 position.
Indicator control ring front.jpg
Lateral view indicator collar.jpg
Lastly the main knob goes on and then the knob for the center button that triggers the system. There is a flat that the main knob slides onto. Having asked via the email list, a gentleman told me that the way to get the center knob on is to tighten the allen screw enough so that it creates a drag. Slide the knob on, then tip it so that the allen screw just grips the groove that is in the shaft. You can then pull the entire complex out and tighten the allen screw. He said this is how he has done it for 31 years. Nothing like experience! It worked. Make sure you push on the rubber washer first and then push the knob in fully or the allen screw will not lock into the slot in the shaft.
All allen screws for the Autopilot knobs are 5/64.
Center knob
Center knob
This is the completed panel and knobs installed. Interesting enough, the allen screw for the Rear Air control knob is 3/32's. You can see the screw installed at the ignition switch.
Completed panel
Completed panel
Here's the thing. I will not get to test this as the car is not running. I purchased it at Carlisle in 1992 without the engine and trans. I have a correct year engine and trans for it. I have been hoping to get to it. Life gets in the way. However, I think the time is finally coming. This car looks rough on the outside, but I assure you, there is no rot anywhere. The doors close like the day it was new. I did put a battery to it some years ago and everything worked. Only the wing windows were stuck, but the motors ran. I have the owners manual with the lady's name and address who owned it. It was sold by a dealer in PA. Here are a couple pictures.
Car front side
Car front side
Car rear side
Car rear side

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Nice lift - do you keep another car under it?

Dan

Post by Dan »

ImperialAtom wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:04 pm Nice lift - do you keep another car under it?
I did. Was a 74 vette. Another project I got started on but then got side tracked with a 76 vette. Had that one for a long time. Sold them both in 2015. Now I have some tools under there.

I got real lucking buying it. I had been checking craigslist daily but kept missing them. The gentleman had it 1 year and did not like it. Listed it on craigslist for $1200. I just happened to check craigslist the morning he listed it. It was only up for 15 minutes. I couldn't believe he had no idea what it as worth.

I also have a Max Jax. That is the lift that I use regularly. I highly recommend it. I got lucky on that too. I had just checked the Garage Journal forum and Danmar posted a group buy. $1800 delivered.

Both were purchased in 2009 when I put up the garage.