rear window motor

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
Fran Roach

rear window motor

Post by Fran Roach »

Anyone know ,Will a window motor from a 69 fit my 66 imp ?

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: rear window motor

Post by ImperialAtom »

I doubt it, but maybe. My understanding is that 66 was the last year that Imperial had it's own frame and custom parts. Beyond that, they started sharing most of their parts with other Chrysler vehicles. With that I would assume the 69 will not fit your 66.

When looking up the 69 window motors, I found this one that claims it does not fit a 66 year. Maybe they didn't include it, but it doesn't sound like it will. https://www.ebay.com/itm/291989491800

I would suggest simply taking your door apart, pulling out the motor from your 66 and compare it with the pictures on ebay for a 69 model year. If it looks like it will fit, give it a shot. And let us all know what you find out. :)

Fran Roach

Post by Fran Roach »

Thanks for the input
We are doing as suggested.
The later models one looks similar. Ordered one to see if it will fit.

Fran Roach

Post by Fran Roach »

Now needing a switch for passenger door
Any ideas other than ebay

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

You can try Murray: http://www.murraybpark.com/

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

Window motors for 1964-1966 Imps are specific to those 3 years and Imperial only.
1967 Crown Coupe, 1964 Impvertible, 1971 Challenger convertible, 1968 Road Runner, 1967 Mobile Director
http://mattmichalec.com/

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Good point, Matt. If you can find a switch for any of those 3 years, you should be good. So be sure to search for all 3 in your ebay search.

Crown64

Post by Crown64 »

Matt is correct. The 1964-65-66 motors are year-specific and Imperial-specific. Rock Auto and Napa are incorrect when stating that the later motors will work. Ordering one from them will be an exercise in futility. Most competent electrical shops can rebuild these motors. They were made by American-Bosch. Most had a tarry insulation applied, which tended to hold heat in, and shorten the life of the motors. If you need a switch, send me an e-mail at: faresmcmthelix@msn.com.

Charles Fares
1964 Imperial Crown Convertible
1969 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1989 Cadillac Fleetwood
1972 Lincoln Continental

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

If you can't find a motor for the 66, you might try picking up a 69 motor or some other motor from from 66 and see if there's a way to swap it yourself. This is basically what a rebuild shop will do except with a modern motor.

When it comes down to it, motors usually only have two wires. So if you can find one that you can replace on the 66 unit, then you could try doing some home surgery on it and make a frankenstein motor module out of your original.

Fran Roach

Post by Fran Roach »

All Great Info Guys, Thanks, The rear 2 motors are so rusty inside do not think rebuild is a option.
Waiting for the on the one we ordered to see if we can do as suggested. I ordered a switch on Ebay.
Thankfully only needed one.