Repro Crown Key blanks

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Repro Crown Key blanks

Post by ImperialAtom »

I know the original crown keys were very cheap and would break easily, and I assume that's likely why my 57 Imperial doesn't have any crown keys anymore. The 66 Imperial also does not have original keys, and I have no idea what the 66 key style even was.

Anyone sitting on some key blanks for the 57 or 66 model years? Or know where someone is creating legit reproductions? I go on ebay and find a ton of results when I search, but it's very clear it is not the original style and just some cheap knockoffs.

If the answer to the above questions is no, has anyone ever gone down the path of sourcing someone to reproduce parts that might be able to stamp some crown keys? I have an original 57 crown key with a paired lock, but as it's already cut I can't use it in my car - it could be a model to go by though.

Red

Re: Repro Crown Key blanks

Post by Red »

I believe the 66’s were just Pentastar keys like in the picture I tried to attach. I would probably try Jesser’s classic keys and/or ebay.

I am not aware of any crown style reproduction key blanks but that would be cool and I’d want a couple. Forward Look flook logo keys are pretty easy to find (so probably reproduced) but not the crowns.

You might also be able to have a locksmith re-key the lock tumblers you already have on your car to work with a set of original keys that have already been cut, which might be less hard to find than uncut blanks.
Attachments
0EF1F809-672F-4C14-A9A6-57E729524460.jpeg
0EF1F809-672F-4C14-A9A6-57E729524460.jpeg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 2389 times

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Red wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:51 am I believe the 66’s were just Pentastar keys like in the picture I tried to attach. I would probably try Jesser’s classic keys and/or ebay.
Thanks, while they won't be very fancy, at least they will be easier to source.
Red wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:51 am You might also be able to have a locksmith re-key the lock tumblers you already have on your car to work with a set of original keys that have already been cut, which might be less hard to find than uncut blanks.
I had thought of that, but the concern with trying to use an original key is that they are so fragile. The key feels so light as if it will snap off with very little effort. After holding an original, I can see why they didn't last long, they almost feel as if they are made of aluminum or something.

Red

Post by Red »

I think they actually were aluminum or an aluminum alloy. They definitely wear down quicker than a brass key but I have fairly routinely used aluminum keys on both of my Imperials with no bent or broken keys. The trunk lock is really the only lock that’s not crazy easy to turn.

My approach ideal approach, if one has the time & $, would be to have the tumblers reset for the nicest set of used original crown keys you can find and then have some repro forward look (or even hardware store) brass keys cut to match. Use the brass keys for everyday and the crown keys for shows, special occasions, whenever you’re feeling extra, etc..

Btw, I assume the brass keys are slightly harder on the lock cylinders wear-wise but they generally seem pretty durable.

Perhaps except for that one time when an unfamiliar mechanic jammed a non-original-but-vintage aluminum key for my 67 into the door lock upside down and broke one of the pins inside the cylinder. Cheap and easy fix at the locksmith but did have to rip the door apart. grrr...

I also keep soft or original keys by themselves on their own keychain to reduce wear on the finish from other keys/pocket wear.

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

I’ve got several sets of used vintage originals I’d be happy to find new homes for.
This set below goes with a nice ‘57/8 glove box door I have for sale in the classifieds.
E4ED9AC3-8B59-4C0A-A7C6-012ADC7E7959.jpeg
E4ED9AC3-8B59-4C0A-A7C6-012ADC7E7959.jpeg (105.14 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
1967 Crown Coupe, 1964 Impvertible, 1971 Challenger convertible, 1968 Road Runner, 1967 Mobile Director
http://mattmichalec.com/