Hard Back covers on 66 seats

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Hard Back covers on 66 seats

Post by ImperialAtom »

I'm not sure if all the mid 60's models had this issue, but on my 66 the hard back seat cover that is a curved piece of plastic or something on the back of the front seats, keeps sliding off. Looks like there may have been double sided tape under it at one point.

Anyone have a good suggestion on what works well for these? Should I just get some fresh double-sided tape?

I was also thinking of that stuff that is used to hold pictures on walls - think it's made by 3M.

Thoughts?

watchfatha1

Re: Hard Back covers on 66 seats

Post by watchfatha1 »

They slip under the chrome channel and tend to bunch up at the top, where it narrows. The bottom has a clip(s) to hold it on (if I remember correctly). Try to smooth out the top and get it to slip inside the channel completely, then it should be held in by either screws on the bottom or clips. Its been a while and my car is in the shop, so I'm a bit vague on the means of attachment-but sure about the problem of interference at the top. Good luck.
Norm

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

It’s all about the clip at the bottom.
1967 Crown Coupe, 1964 Impvertible, 1971 Challenger convertible, 1968 Road Runner, 1967 Mobile Director
http://mattmichalec.com/

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

I hear a click sound when I slide it on, but have no inspected it to see if it's worn out or not.

Will have to fix the power seat controls this spring so will check out the back of the seat a little closer when I get to it.

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

Same as ‘67 I believe.
11BB5D16-ACE2-4490-B0BA-A3DA1200C558.jpeg
1967 Crown Coupe, 1964 Impvertible, 1971 Challenger convertible, 1968 Road Runner, 1967 Mobile Director

watchfatha1

Post by watchfatha1 »

That's one beautiful seat-back; no warping, no wear in the clip area, and the top edges have not been crimped. Perfect!

gary h

Post by gary h »

Sometimes when they get recovered, They do not fit the same.

watchfatha1

Post by watchfatha1 »

I guess; upholsterer may not have an idea of where fitment is critical.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Matt - thanks for the picture. Finally got around to working on it after it has fallen off about 20 times.

I used a binder clip to create a new seat back clip. Taped it onto the back of the seat where the other one was missing. Seat back went right on and the newly rigged clip snapped in place. Not sure if my tape is going to hold, will let it go for a few days and see... if not I'll probably use some hefty duct tape or something.

Here's a picture of what I made. It's not perfect, and might need to add a few more bends to make it work properly, but the back of the seat is damaged some, so I don't think I'll be going without some form of tape involved.
Attachments
re_20200524_005716.jpg

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

ImperialAtom wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:14 am Matt - thanks for the picture. Finally got around to working on it after it has fallen off about 20 times.

I used a binder clip to create a new seat back clip. Taped it onto the back of the seat where the other one was missing. Seat back went right on and the newly rigged clip snapped in place. Not sure if my tape is going to hold, will let it go for a few days and see... if not I'll probably use some hefty duct tape or something.

Here's a picture of what I made. It's not perfect, and might need to add a few more bends to make it work properly, but the back of the seat is damaged some, so I don't think I'll be going without some form of tape involved.
I have a mason jar full of those clips. I’ll send you a few in the box with your literature.