1959 Imperial Crown Southampton Restoration of Door weather strip

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
DonFromTexas

1959 Imperial Crown Southampton Restoration of Door weather strip

Post by DonFromTexas »

I have two freshly painted cars that I need to re attach the rubber weather strip on the doors and other places. I have been hesitant to start slobbering around weather strip adhesive on these serfaces. I found today I can buy on Amazon double sided trim adhesive. I bought a batch of it so see how well it works. Has anyone else tried this method?

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: 1959 Imperial Crown Southampton Restoration of Door weather strip

Post by ImperialAtom »

I have not, so I'd be interested to hear how it goes. I have never had good luck with the glue stuff. It gets messy and always seems to let go on a hot day.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I think it is worth a try at least, looks like a better chance of permanent bond to me. Here is what I am trying out:

3M Super Strength Molding Tape, 03614, 1/2 in x 15 ft

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Well I got it, made some test attachments, and it passed with flying colors! I think it actually sticks BETTER than the old liquid stuff, and no mess whatever! Also gives instant satisfaction.
It may just dry up and fall off in a few years, but I highly doubt it, in the meantime it is actually better than sliced bread..

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

In testing it to destruction on various materials etc I have found that it is very important to wipe both the rubber and the surface to be attached with alcohol, it is VERY sensitive to skin oil on surfaces. Also found is that you have a super stick ONLY ONCE! Make sure it is where you permanently want it when you make the initial contact. If you make a mistake, replace the tape when you move the rubber.