1956 Outside Mirror Placement

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
DonFromTexas

1956 Outside Mirror Placement

Post by DonFromTexas »

It was pointed out that my recent 56 Imp acquisition had an aftermarket outside mirror. In trying to identify the original style, it opened a whole rats nest of stuff.
First off, the 56 brochures all seem to be WITHOUT mirrors! In looking at photos of 56s on line, it seems that them and the 300B seem to have their mirrors some on the door, some on the fender!
Has anyone researched this? I am beginning to think the outside mirror was a dealer installed accessory, not from the factory.
Attachments
caimp32.jpg
caimp32.jpg (23.15 KiB) Viewed 2640 times

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: 1956 Outside Mirror Placement

Post by ImperialAtom »

I've noticed that with some other make/model cars as well. The mirrors are all over the place. One or two examples would be expected, but it seems some makes and models had some wide ranging mirror placement.

I can kinda understand why as depending on where you adjust your seat, the mirror can be completely blocked by the A pillar if you place it wrong. Maybe it was a dealer option as far as placement. Once you get into the options with remote control mirror adjustment, then I assume they became very standard to ensure proper placement at the factory.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Back in those days, LOTS of stuff like hood ornaments and mirrors were simply dealer installed as well as factory installed. I am becoming convinced that for 56 Imperials were not leaving the factory with outside mirrors but were installed by dealers. I have found that the Imperial mirrors were used also on some Dodge and Plymoutn models,

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

I recently inherited 5, '56 Imperials. One is at my house, the others are still 30 miles away and I don't remember what they have or have had for mirrors. I will try to look at them this weekend and report back. Here is a picture of the mirror on the car that is at my house. That was the first day uncovered in 25 years. As far as I know this is the original mirror to the car & in the original location. As you said, it could've been dealer installed. Not sure where this car was bought new.
Attachments
20211116_130424.jpg

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Wow and everyone claims I am crazy for owning "only" three!
Thanks for the photo, that is a big help, let me know what the other 4 have, maybe I can solve it. I also would love to see photos of the other 4 as well.
Mine is apparently a one owner and seems to be remarkably original and unmolested.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

DonFromTexas wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:02 am Wow and everyone claims I am crazy for owning "only" three!
The difference here is you went in search of the 3 you have. Wypowerwagon inherited his 5 :)

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Wypowerwagon - I also would love to see more of all 5 cars. If you are looking to sell a few, you always welcome to use the classifieds section on this forum to help get the word out. ( viewforum.php?f=16 )

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

Thanks guys! I ended up with quite a bit of stuff & will most likely be selling some once I see how things turn out, it might be a while. Over 40 years of accumulation to deal with but getting the pink '56 out of where it was stored became a big priority once I found out it was going to be my car. One of the other '56 Imperials is in a not so good building & sadly has stuff piled on it & around it. Plus all sorts of animals have been living in the building. The other 3 are outside. There is also a '74 Imperial & two '75 Imperials & I can't remember how many New Yorkers of the same vintage, more than 5 I think. Most of these vehicles have been there since the late '70's, early '80's. Probably around 100 vehicles there.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Not sure what I will need to restore mine, but keep me in mind when you inventory and prepare to get rid of some of the spares.