1956 Imperial Owners Forums?

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
wypowerwagon

Re: 1956 Imperial Owners Forums?

Post by wypowerwagon »

I did wonder if they used the same tank mold & just located things differently. Moving the fuel line connection isn't a big deal for me to do but it might not be so easy for others. If they are selling a tank that is supposed to fit, then it should fit. If there is a possibility that things would need modified then they should have noted that in the tank description. It actually would've been real easy for them to put multiple fuel line connections in the tank & just block off the ones not needed. The fuel filler location seems to be correct on the tank I have. The tank I bought is supposed to be for 55 & 56 Chrysler, Desoto & Imperial. The '55 & '56 Imperials were still so much like a Chrysler that I'm betting the gas tanks are identical. I will know more once I look at the '56 Chrysler.

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

The part number you sent is the tank at Vans & may be correct. The pictures don't show the fuel line connection location though.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I know, I looked forever for that. I guess would need to speak to someone knowledgeable about the inventory.

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

Well I got an email back from Moparpro. He is obviously a very intelligent individual considering he knows more about my gas tank than I do. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that has looked inside that tank since the car was built in 1956. We kinda went back & forth & he claimed he would've told me it wasn't an exact replacement if I would've bought it from him. It's funny there is no mention of that on his website though. He claims that the '55 Imperials had a left side fuel line & so did a Dodge & a Plymouth so that's what they had the tank molded for. I can't say he is wrong but I can say based on his initial rude response that I won't have him at the top of my parts source list. It's not like I was asking for my money back or a different tank & at that point I didn't have a bad word to say about any of it, or him. I do have access to a '55 Plymouth that I will look at. I'm over dealing with that guy but my curious mind wants to know. With all that said, I would recommend checking with Vans before buying a tank. It shouldn't be a big deal to reroute & extend the fuel line but it's nice to know those things ahead of time. It may have to run relatively close to the exhaust. Hopefully I can make time to get this tank in soon & will know more then.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Thanks, good information. To be sure, you are only talking about the fuel line to the engine, NOT the filler tube?

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

Yes, just the fuel line to the engine. I will try to get time to get some pictures of both tanks.

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

Tried to get some good pictures of these tanks. The '56 Chrysler has the exact same tank as the '56 Imperial. The '55 Plymouth I looked at today does have the fuel line on the left side of the car. Maybe the '55 Imperial does too. I usually see one at a car show over the summer so I may check it out. I'm going to make the new tank work but it would've been real simple for the vendor to make a note of the difference so a person knows what to expect. The email he sent me started off with "let's get one thing straight" & he proceeded to tell me how bad my tank is & it couldn't have been fixed for the price he charges for a tank. At no point in my initial email did I show that I was unhappy with the tank. I was just trying to bring something up that maybe he didn't know about. It sounds like you've had good luck with Vans & that's where I'll be going for any future purchases.
Attachments
Front of the tanks. The fuel line connection is circled.
Front of the tanks. The fuel line connection is circled.
Bottom of the tanks. Fuel line connection is circled. The drain plug goes to the front of the car.
Bottom of the tanks. Fuel line connection is circled. The drain plug goes to the front of the car.
Top of the tanks. The fuel filler & vent are at the right rear corner when it is mounted in the car.
Top of the tanks. The fuel filler & vent are at the right rear corner when it is mounted in the car.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Thanks, that is quite helpful. I have restored a LOT of old junk cars and learned long ago that steam cleaning, slosh treatments and so on never really work. I just put on a new one and be happy with it. Some real headaches occur when the gunk in the tank starts fouling the fuel pumps, and the carburetors.
If I were to guess, I would say that someone made the decision to just use something already in production, thinking one only needs a short piece of hose to make it work, far less than the cost of retooling to correct it. OK ONLY if it came with instructions on how to make it work.

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

No problem at all Don, hopefully it helps you & anyone else who may have a '56. I agree on getting a new tank if one is available.