1956 Imperial Owners Forums?

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: 1956 Imperial Owners Forums?

Post by ImperialAtom »

Got my 57 tank from VansAuto. Here's the link to their 55-56 tank if you want to compare it to the one you already received: https://vansauto.com/product/55-56-chry ... chctnk56i/

Likely they are all from the same source, but check it out to be sure.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Yeah I sent him that info also by email. Earlier Vans had not separated the Chrysler from the Imperial, and I got the wrong fittings, they corrected their listing and sent me the correct one for my 59, and paid for the return of the wrong one. I have bought two 59 Imperial tanks, and they fit exactly as original.
My only point is that if they are not told it is wrong, they cannot make it better.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Very good point Don - most places want to make it right, so just let them know.

DonFromTexas

Re: 19551956 FactoryService Manual

Post by DonFromTexas »

wypowerwagon I spent some time on the Wyoming DMV sites but never found an answer to the introduction of a car from a non title state to Wyoming! They leave a LOT more up to each county than most states. If I were in your current situation, I would query the Wyoming DMV people to see what is actually needed. Obviously they have a procedure for such cars with only a bill of sale.
In Texas they simply make up a title based on the bill of sale. Stone simple!

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

Thanks for the tank information & the suggestion on the Wyoming DMV!
I had called Andy Bernbaum & they said the tanks are somewhat universal & may not be an exact fit. I wasn't impressed with that answer, especially considering there wasn't any mention of it possibly not being a direct bolt in. Unfortunately the tank at Vans doesn't show the fuel line connection location. I haven't seen any other tanks for sale that show it either. The tank is supposed to fit Chrysler, Desoto & Imperial. Every one of those cars has the fuel filler on the right rear corner & would have the fuel line on the right side of the car. The new tank I have is for a car with a left side fuel line. Now that I'm thinking about it maybe I will contact the company that the tank actually came from. I would think someone would want to correct the problem. FASS lift pumps for diesel trucks comes to mind. Big company, sells stuff that is supposed to be for a specific truck but modifications to their product are necessary to be installed on said vehicle. When I called them to let them know they had some design problems they said they didn't care. It wasn't my truck that it went on but I wouldn't put one of them on my truck if they paid me to put it on.

I have gotten different results from different counties in Wyoming on the same situations. Maybe it also depends on which person I talk to. In Wyoming, we can do an abandoned vehicle title if a person is careful on telling them how the vehicle became "abandoned". The counties are different on rules & I haven't had a chance to check that county to see if they would do that. Lots of estate things still going on that seem to put the vehicles on the back burner.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I have had several disagreements with the local county DMV. I have found at the state DMV however there are people who actually give a damn and by getting them to put it in writing, the locals no longer have a choice in the matter. Another avenue may be a "storage lien" or a "garage keeper lien". These often work very easily to do the trick. Usually require a notice in the local paper and a 30 day or so wait.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Once upon a time, I had believed that Vans actually had the tanks made. They claimed that they could send a junk tank to China, and they would only make a minimum of 300 tanks. The 59 Imperial is the same, the tanks are made for a filler in several places, just like the factory one. Where the filler was installed is what made it vehicle specific. Vans had them listed wrong and were most happy to have it pointed out and corrected.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Keep us informed of the results, I will probably be ordering one from Vans in the near future.

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

I did send an email to Moparpro but haven't heard anything back. I work strange hours but will try to make time to call them next week if I don't get an email back. I'm at least curious if they know & if they care. Moparpro does sell their tank on Amazon & they have a good picture of the fuel line connection & it is exactly like the one I have, unfortunately wrong. There is a '56 Chrysler at the property my mom lived on & I plan to go there again this weekend so I will be looking at it to compare tanks. That tank was bad 30 years ago but it is in the trunk so it will be easy to look at. I considered checking the tanks in the parts cars but my spare time to do those things right now vs buying a new tank made me decide on a new tank. On this side of the deal I'm thinking checking the other tanks would've been the smarter place to start.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

My exerience shows that MOPAR used the identical fuel tank mold, and for 59 placed the filler differently. One could see the molded place for a filler, but blank. It strongly appears that the tanks were all made, then the fillers added as requested for the different models.
If I were placed with that problem, I would consider taking the filler from its location and welding it in the proper place. Would actually be a quick and easy solution. Is this the tank you ordered that does not fit the imperial?

55 56 Chrysler Desoto Imperial 20 Gallon Gas Fuel Tank 1955 1956 CHCTNK56I
$350.00