1956 Imperial Owners Forums?

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
DonFromTexas

Re: 1956 Imperial Owners Forums?

Post by DonFromTexas »

Thanks again. It will be fun to watch and follow as you inventory and restore. This forum is always here to sort out pieces of the puzzle.

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

More pictures of the Novi AC unit, under hood stuff. I realized after I had left that I probably could've gotten better pictures.
Attachments
20220424_110201.jpg
20220424_110211.jpg
5 blade fan might have been part of the Novi unit.
5 blade fan might have been part of the Novi unit.
This cable operated thingamajigger is controlled by the temperature knob inside the car. I haven't messed with air conditioning much but I've never seen anything like it.
This cable operated thingamajigger is controlled by the temperature knob inside the car. I haven't messed with air conditioning much but I've never seen anything like it.
Tag on the compressor.
Tag on the compressor.
20220424_111152.jpg

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

VERY INTERESTING!!!
I was not aware that one would put a trunk mount after market AC on an Imperial. One giveaway is of course the condenser is engine compartment located, hence no air scoops behind the rear doors like my factory AC has. I am sure that is even far more rare than the somewhat rare factory AC units on the 56 models.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Of all of them, the two door Southampton is probably the one most worth saving! Looks to be a fairly easy restoration as well. You do know Jay Leno has a twin to that one, and claims it is one of his most favorite drivers!

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

The aftermarket AC unit is interesting. You're probably correct on it being more rare than the factory AC unit.
I had heard Jay Leno has a '56 Imperial that he drives often. The 2 door Southampton I have is a restorable car. I don't have a title for that one & in Wyoming that is a little bit of a problem, not impossible though.
On another note. The gas tank in the 4 door Southampton was bad enough that when I realized I could actually buy a new tank, I decided that was the better way to go. The tank showed up today, it looks correct other than the fuel line connection is on the left side of the new tank and the original location is on the right side. I called the place I got it from and they said that is because it is a somewhat universal tank. The listing showed '55 & '56 Imperial, Chrysler & Desoto. It shouldn't be a big deal to extend the fuel line but it would've been kinda good to know it wasn't going to be a direct install. I'm into another project that has taken priority over the Imperial so I might not get a chance to actually put the tank in for a week or two.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Titles are not a problem anywhere. Many states have dropped titles for anything older than 25 years or so. All you need to do is make up a bill of sale from John Doe or whoever you wish to you and head on down to the DMV! I used to use Alabama for years, California is also that way too now. In fact Wyoming may be that way, just sell it to yourself!
I got a wrong tank once, the 59 Imperial is different from the Chryslers, wrong side fillers. who did you get it from?

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

In Ohio, titles are still a big deal. They will make you jump through many hoops if you do not have a proper title.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Titles are not a problem anywhere. Many states have dropped titles for anything older than 25 years or so. All you need to do is make up a bill of sale from John Doe or whoever you wish to you and head on down to the DMV! I used to use Alabama for years, California is also that way too now. In fact Wyoming may be that way, just sell it to yourself!
I got a wrong tank once, the 59 Imperial is different from the Chryslers, wrong side fillers. who did you get it from?

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

The secret is to NOT use a title, only a bill of sale, simple receipt saying it was sold to you. Ohio will then issue a title based on bill of sale from a non title state.

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

A title is necessary in Wyoming regardless of the year of the vehicle. Wyoming is so strict on paperwork that I was really surprised I was able to transfer titles out of my mom's name as easily as I did. Plus I was able to transfer the antique vehicle plates into my name. Those plates have been on the car since 1981 so it's cool I can keep them.
I got the gas tank through Andy Bernbaum. I've bought stuff from them in the past & never had a problem with their stuff. The tank was actually sent from Moparpro. They had them on their website too but for whatever reason I was already ordering stuff from Andy's so I just got the tank there too. I'm guessing that all the tanks available for that car are the same. I am considering changing the location of the fuel line connection but that would definitely void any warranty it may have. I'll figure it out as I get time to install the tank. Not the first time I've had to modify something that was supposed to fit.