Let's Introduce ourselves.

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Let's Introduce ourselves.

Post by ImperialAtom »

Works great!

joezimp

Post by joezimp »

I'm Joe and have a 1962 Imperial Custom 4-dr. hardtop with light blue original paint. I have owned the car since about 1985 and have been a member here from years ago. I am renewing my membership. I have contributed some information in the past and will likely do so again. I live north of Dallas, TX in the country (near Tioga, TX). My Imperial has not been driven since the late 1990s. The brakes need complete restoration (shoes were replaced at a Dallas Chrysler dealer, but were not arced and locked up when I drove it home). The shoes were re-arced at a truck and tractor shop in Dallas in order to get the shoes to fit the drums without heat causing them to lock up. Since then the brakes need new hard lines and flex lines. I did get new wheel cylinders but they may now be corroded. I may have to get new ones again. I had the master cylinder re-sleeved with stainless steel. Hopefully that may still be OK.

I may still be able to get a new hard-line brake tube kit from Classic Tube but need to check. They had a listing for a kit made to fit a 1959 or so and it should be good for a 62. The 1959 only differed by having different size drums wheels and tires. The flex lines may have been different lengths, but may have been the same. The same frame was used from 1957-1966 with only minor changes if I remember correctly.

Joe

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Welcome to the forum, Joe. Have any pics of your blue 62? I always loved the blue paint tone.

Tonys67

Post by Tonys67 »

Hi all,
My name is Tony, a 27 year old car nut from Sweden. New to the forums, but joined the OIC mailing list about 10-15 years ago or so and have found it to be a priceless asset throughout the restoration of my 67 Imperial convertible. As the resto is nearing its completion, I figured I could share a few pictures.

Started a subscription of a classic car magazine back in 2000, when I was just 7 years old (that's basically how I learned to read). The listings in the final pages sparked an ambition to acquire a car of my own. Roughly 1 year later, in 2001, I found this listing of a recently imported 67 in need of full restoration. The picture displayed the rear, and hence the majestic taillights. First time I ever came across one. It was rough, but affordable. This one I just had to see. With the motivation "when I'm 18, there won't be any cool cars left", I finally managed to convince my parents to withdraw my savings to buy her. "Hey, maybe the kid is right!". Thankfully I wasn't, although prices are a completely different story today.

The resto has now been going on for 19 years. A long time for sure, but I had no mechanics experience to begin with. First ambition was to just get it road worthy, but as I picked up some welding and sheet metal work skills in my early teens, the bar was continuously raised. It didn't take long until the entire car was stripped down to its core. Doing everything from sheet metal repair, sand blasting, painting (except exterior), drivetrain, subassemblies, interior, assembly etc., it’s maybe not that surprising things did take a while. But hey, persistence and vision goes a long way!

Just got her registered a few weeks ago and can't wait to drive my brand new Imperial to car shows next year :D

Best regards,
Tony
Attachments
26BA1576-9E90-4104-8A95-89BB3C462239.JPG
553552B8-13B8-4532-927D-56F01DDCD0CD.JPG
22866934-4D4E-482E-B24B-D0A96B997B41.JPG
176F0025-64A1-44A4-8E2F-EA9564347C3C.JPG

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Wow, you have good reason to be very proud! Good job!

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Tony - that is an amazing car, you should be very proud. 19 years is a long time, but hopefully that can become a family heirloom that can be passed down through the generations.

Tonys67

Post by Tonys67 »

Many thanks! Yes, this one is without doubt a keeper.

Too Many Mopars

Post by Too Many Mopars »

Wow fantastic work!
Too Many Mopars: 2015 Challenger; 2007 Magnum; 1989 New Yorker; 1974 LeBaron :D :D :D :D

ricks_RR

Post by ricks_RR »

thats awesome

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

Beautiful ‘67!
1967 Crown Coupe, 1964 Impvertible, 1971 Challenger convertible, 1968 Road Runner, 1967 Mobile Director
http://mattmichalec.com/