1959 Power Antenna Repairs

Non-powertrain topics related to the interior or exterior - seats, paint, electrical, chrome, etc.
DonFromTexas

1959 Power Antenna Repairs

Post by DonFromTexas »

While apart for painting, I decided to overhaul my power antenna. I got it apart, all the important stuff is there and in find condition, but missing some easily replaced bushings I think. The problem i have is that I cannot find how it originally was made so that I can reproduce whatever is broken or missing.
Has anyone repaired theirs or even more desired is photos or drawing of what was there and how it worked. Surely somewhere in the world there is a parts diagram or photos of them? I am sure they used the same one for many years, and I am of the opinion that other cars used the same antenna.
Help!
Attachments
slcimp306.jpg

DonFromTexas

Re: 1959 Power Antenna Repairs

Post by DonFromTexas »

I see in the parts manual that it was used on ALL 59 mopars, same one.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

I really don't know for sure, but I didn't think they had any bushings in the antenna itself. I thought it was all metal rubbing against metal, but with grease or oil to lubricate it. Never seen a bushing fall out of one, and never took one apart beyond breaking it in half, so not sure, but that's what I had always assumed.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

There is parts of one bushing left, apparently it retained the initial section into the motor housing to keep it from coming out the top. It appears to be bakelite or some hard plastic stuff. I can easily turn one in my lathe if I only had a look at the complete original one. This photo shows part of it, part is still in the gearbox, and some of it is long gone.
Attachments
slcimp303.jpg