Help Needed

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
DonFromTexas

Help Needed

Post by DonFromTexas »

If anyone has access to a 1956 I would appreciate some help. My newest one arrived with no keys and a trunk that seems stuck down. The key slot is VERTICAL and acts like it is unlocking but the lid does not budge. I THINK the rubber has stick it to the body and needs only some help. However I do not want to bust the lock or such, and I THINK when locked the key slot is horizontal. Can anyone confirm this for me?
Attachments
caimp25.jpg

DonFromTexas

Re: Help Needed

Post by DonFromTexas »

With no one willing to help, I tried to pry it open with the button pushed, and no luck. I notice on the 1959 model the key slot is HORIZONTAL when in the unlocked position. I photo of an unlocked trunk button on a 1956 would be much appreciated.

zontal

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

I have a lock picker tool, but need to know which way the lock turns to unlock.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

I've never seen a lock turn left, already been to the right. I assume for right handed people.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Right to lock, left to unlock seems to be some sort of standard and is used on most driver doors, except for the ignition switch. My problem is not knowing if it is locked or not I have no way of knowing which way to turn it with a lock picker. Hard to believe no one has access to a camera and a 56!
A simple photo of the lock in the UNLOCKED position would make my day!

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

Hey Don. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. The key slot is always vertical and the button can be pushed at any time. If it is locked, the key has to turn clockwise 360 degrees to unlock the latch. The button has a tab that pushes on another tab on the latch to open the trunk. The key just moves the tab to a position where it will miss the tab on the latch when the button is pushed. I'll attach some pictures. Kinda hard to get a good shot in there. I guess all my pictures are going to be sideways because I'm not smart enough to know how to fix it, sorry. The bottom of the picture is on the left.
Attachments
Unlocked
Unlocked
Midway
Midway
Button
Button

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Wow that is most helpful!! I would have not figured that out even with a key! To turn 360 degrees to lock or unlock is indeed strange! I have the glove compartment lock at a locksmith making a key that will fit the trunk, should work.
I have another question, in case you have a door apart. The service manual shows a flat blade screwdriver slot in the inside of the door, and a screwdriver is inserted and push the spring locking to the rear to release the door lock cylinder. Problem is on my doors, there is a round hole, maybe 3/8 diameter and it seems there is no spring clip to release! Can you help me with that? I need it out to take to a locksmith to make a key to fit the ignition switch.
Thanks again so very much for your photos and explanations that was a huge help to me!

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

You're welcome on the trunk information, I'm glad it helped! That is definitely not the normal way of operating a trunk lock. My trunk key is the same as the glove compartment so you should be good there.
As for the door lock. I did have my door panel off, however the Southampton doors are very different from the sedan & most of what is in the service manual doesn't apply to them. I didn't have the door lock out but I remember seeing a not so normal retainer for the lock. I am going to the property where the parts cars are stored today & I'll try to take a look. I don't think there is a door panel off but one has a damaged door & is at least partially taken apart.

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Please do!

wypowerwagon

Post by wypowerwagon »

There is an oval hole in the door near the weather strip, at the same height as the lock. If you can get a screwdriver in there at a pretty good angle to the front of the door you can catch the lip on the retainer for the lock. It would probably help if the tool had a hook on it but I didn't have anything like that with me. The retainer is probably stuck after all these years but it will need to move towards the rear edge of the door and the lock should come right out. Getting it back in, a person needs to access the round hole in the door straight in from the lock. Then a scribe or something similar can be used to guide the lock rod back into the correct spot. Sounds easy but it can be a bit of a character building experience. I have a couple pictures but I'm now realizing they aren't as good as I initially thought. I also marked them up a bit, I'm not very artistic but hopefully it will help explain what is going on. The outside door handle is missing so one picture was taken looking down through that hole. I will attach them though. Thinking of door handles, there is a special tool for removing the inside door handle. I don't have one but managed to get a very thin bottle opener in there to get the handle to come off. Not the greatest deal but it worked. Hopefully this helps. I'm mowing at another property in another county most of the weekend but will check back when I can to see how you came out. I also have a gas tank story when I have some time to post it. Getting a good radiator and time to get it all back together is holding me up now.
Attachments
20220624_140834.jpg
20220624_140753.jpg
20220624_140907.jpg