Imperial parts peddlers and addicts...

Non-specific topics such as stories, experiences, and other general discussions.
mikes2nd

Imperial parts peddlers and addicts...

Post by mikes2nd »

So being a forward looker and recently getting a 60 imperial...

Why is it you imperial guys feel you have to price rape fellow restorers?

I understand parts are few and hard to find. I admit I do feed my addiction with some FWL rare parts.

I mean I can go buy a complete parts car for 1000$ but you guys want 200$ for a piece of trim? 200$ for a lense... If I bought the trim for a car it would be 3000$ I mean if imperials were 100k cars(two door hts or something) I could see that but they aren't. Its rough being an imperial owner I guess?

I guess I mean be realistic on parts, don't just try to rape the poor sap that needs a part.
1960 Imperial Coupe

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Re: Imperial parts peddlers and addicts...

Post by ImperialAtom »

I agree with what you are saying - have noticed it as well.

My guess as to why is due to the fact the parts are very rare and there are no modern reproductions made by anyone. So few cars were sold compared to other models, and the Imperial parts were specific to Imperial alone. Many other mopars can share similar parts between different models around the same years - but not with Imperial.

So due to the scarcity, there's fewer people that have the parts and fewer people that even want to try and sell the parts because there are fewer buyers compared to other models.

Just my two cents - might be wrong. Buy a cheap parts car, take the parts you need, sell the parts car. As you say, you'll probably come out far ahead by doing this.

DetMatt1

Post by DetMatt1 »

It’s based on supply and demand just like anything else, if something is hard to find it’s not likely to be cheap.
1967 Crown Coupe, 1964 Impvertible, 1971 Challenger convertible, 1968 Road Runner, 1967 Mobile Director
http://mattmichalec.com/

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

Not entirely. As an old used to be parts clerk, I look a bit harder than most. I am constantly amazed at the parts that ARE currently available very reasonable at places like Rock Auto or other vendors. I recently came across a vendor selling a part for $27 called rare, that I can buy at Rock Auto for $2.97, name brand too!
In fact I notice this so often I have considered buying and selling some of that stuff myself for the people that just will not shop for an item. Like buying a half dozen at $2.97 each and selling them for say $9. Would beat the pants off the vendor getting $27
I also have a Chrysler parts manual, which allows me to see what other MOPAR the part was used on (or not) A lot of stuff for our imperial was also used on Dodge, DeSoto, or Chrysler.
I can sympathize with those trying to recoup their investment from used parts alone. Just try it if you think it is so profitable. Very limited market.

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

I see what you are saying, but think you'll find that you sit on Imperial related parts for a while before selling them. If you are ok with that then go for it, but don't expect to get rich over it. :)

DonFromTexas

Post by DonFromTexas »

NEVER to get rich, only consideration is to further the Imperial restoration and collection effort by making it easier and more affordable to find the pieces for the person does not have the skill and time to search for stuff. the professional tightwad in me cries a little when I see someone either do without or get ripped off, when the part is in fact very affordable and available..

mikes2nd

Post by mikes2nd »

Im about to go trash a sedan... and part it myself... Do i want to destroy a car for trim and a few other little bits? Nope but I may have to. Why not pay 20% less than these pimps want?

I mean 200$ for a piece of sedan trim? I can go buy a whole car for cheap. I mean i could understand if its a nos convertible part or even 2 door hardtop part... but they want arms and legs for sedan parts??? cmon. Just makes restoring a imperial that much of a pita and way more expensive than it needs to be just to make some guy a lot of cash. I guess im getting a parts car... I will throw 80% of it away, because it will be a strip and run job... i wont even take the car home. I will literally take 5 hours getting the minor stuff off it and calling the scrap yard to come get it... sad really because someone who has a sedan could use the doors and stuff.
1960 Imperial Coupe

ImperialAtom
Site Admin

Post by ImperialAtom »

Why not try to line someone up here to take the leftovers from you for the scrap price you would have made anyway? That can be your good deed of the year. :)

mikes2nd

Post by mikes2nd »

I may try but the owner wont want multiple people coming on the property.
1960 Imperial Coupe

slantflat

Post by slantflat »

Maybe someone who wants the rest of the car can go with you and take the car themselves, and then you can get whatever you want off it and the rest of the parts won't be lost(and no good to anyone). No one disagrees that an Imperial is a harder car to restore and get parts for, we need to not make it harder. Let's network a little.
Imike
1962 LeBaron
1956 C73